Birmingham, AL-cost of living,etc

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snowdancer, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I know there's folks here who live in Alabama. Can anyone tell me what the area is like and what the cost of living is like for things like rents, auto insurance, food, gas, etc. I did a cost of living comparison on the net but I don't know if that is always accurate and I'd like some feedback from actual residents. Are there surrounding areas to check out or avoid? He would like someplace safe but not high end-racially & ethnically diverse is fine.
    Right now his total housing expenses(minus food & car insurance) but including utilities is right around $1000 and we'd like to lower that if possible.

Looks like hubby's company merged and the main office will now be in Birmingham so it's another move for him. At least we hope he's going to get transferred. :waa:
    He's in Memphis now so the commute to KY will be similar, neither of us have ever been to the Birmingham area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. leigha

leigha Well-Known Member

Finally, a question I can actually help somebody with. Does he want an apartment, a house, a house with land, just a place to lay his head after work? What part of Birmingham is his company located? I lived in Birmingham for 8 years, '88 through '94, so things have changed some since then but I'm still close enough that we go there about twice a month. My husband works in Trussville which is north east of Birmingham, great little town, but getting bigger. I got to go, but will check back later in the day.

3. Snowdancer

leigha, right now he's staying at the Extended Stay America in Memphis after the tornado destroyed the rental house he was renting in Denmark,TN. So he's pretty open as long as it's got a kitchen, bathroom & a place for him to relax. :haha:

I don't know which part of Birmingham just that the company is Regions Bank, I assume their main office.

I'm going to try and find out what part of Birmingham the Bank is located in, but so far I get a list of offices but none marked-main office. :(

This came as a complete surprise, if I hadn't been up at 4am and had the middle of the night news on we wouldn't even have had any warning. The webcast is at 9am and no one at his bank even knew about it and he's a senior manager! So we are sitting here wondering if he'll have a job, when he'll have to move if he does get transferred and what we'll do if he doesn't get transferred. He is in Memphis because the IT market went downhill in Nashville and now this. What a way to start a Friday!! :no:

Thanks for any help you can give us,

Kathy

4. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

KY Guest, I live 20 miles north of B'ham and was in IT in banking for 15 years. I have been working for myself for the last 16 years. I never worked for Regions so I do not know anything about them. The IT market here is kinda slow right now. The cost of living shouldn't vary much from Memphis. As for a place to stay I'll give you some general ares.
    South of town is very populated with heavy traffic - the "up & coming" area
    Trussville - is becoming like the southern area
    East, West & North B'ham are lower income
    If you get into the county areas either north or east you will be in middle to low middle class. This is where I enjoy living. I am in the foothills in a log cabin. Property tax is very reasonable.
    Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Gary

5. Snowdancer

Thanks Gary, I may just take you up on your offer as soon as we know more.

I know IT is going down the tubes all over but we're in our mid 50's and it's not as easy to start over in a new profession now as when we were in our 30's.
    Time has a way of catching up with a person and seems to start winning the race. :(

I'll keep you updated & thanks again,
    Kathy

6. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

Kathy,
    I don't know if you could tell by my other post but my wife and I are in our early 50's. My programming business did the best last year that it has ever done.
    This year I don't know what will happen this year things appear to be sparse. So, I told the Lord it is in His hands what I do. For a man putting trust in someone else's hands is hard, but who better to trust in than the Lord.
    I think things are going to be changing all over the world this year, financially, physically and spiritually. My advice, if you care, is to be rooted and grounded in God and you will weather any storm.

Gary

7. leigha

leigha Well-Known Member

I couldn't access this sight last night, so I haven't been able to get back to help. You could go to Birmingham News website and look in their classifieds for rentals and get a feel for housing, that is if your going to rent. I would say most everything would be very similar to Memphis, maybe a little less expensive. Tell me what areas look good to you, and I'll give you what info I have about them if that would help. I loved B'ham when I lived there. I have since moved back to my hometown an hour northeast.