birds love corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mary,tx, Feb 23, 2004.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted my seed corn a few days ago, while the songbirds watched.
    Not long after I came in, they started eating it. I planted again, and again.
    This time I punched holes in clear disposable cups, and put those over them, as far as they'd go. But now I'm out of cups and out of seed, so a trip to town will be in order before I plant any more of them.
    I also took some dried corn from the pantry and tossed out, hoping the birds would rather eat it off the top of the ground than dig it out of the garden.
    Okay, do I sound desperate?! Do y'all have ideas for keeping the corn in the ground long enough to sprout? I've planted corn before, but never had this problem.
    mary

2. Are you sure they were after the corn? Allot of times when seeds are planted bugs will come around to eat the seeds. As a result, the birds come to eat the bugs. If you marked where you planted the corn (row markers) you may want to check to see if the corn is still there. How long has it been since you planted the seeds in the ground? Have they had enough time to germinate to ensure that they are no longer there?

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

oh, I watched them do it. The seeds are laying on top the ground, minus the germ :mad: The birds and I have just been playing this little game over the last week. No bugs yet.
    mary

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

OOOooo, how annoying! Maybe you could just lay some tarp over the seeds until they germinate. You might buy a little bag of sunflower seeds for birds and throw them on the ground a little ways from the garden, they like those better than corn.

5. You will need a large net to spread over the area, held a short distance above the ground by poles.

6. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

I was fighting the same battle with the crows, here is how I won. We drive stakes in about six feet apart, about 6" off the ground around the perimeter of the corn field. Plant the corn, then I use about 2 balls of twine, and I start wrapping the stakes back and forth. I go to oppiste sides of the field, so that when I am done, it looks like a giant spider web. (It takes some time,(about 1/2 an hour) but it sure confounds the crows, they can't take off once they get in, so they stay out. When the corn is 8" to a foot high, I go in and unwind it to cultivate it. Works perfectly....And it makes me SOOOOOO happy to see the crows walking around the OUTSIDE of the field trying to figure out how to get to it!........lynpea