Birds are eating the strawberries help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jnap31, May 21, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

My wife says the birds are robbing the strawberries so I told her to pick them before they get dead ripe and bring em in. Does anyone use netting over their berries? Where is the best place to order it online? Thanks

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

jnap,

I'm breaking out my bird netting tonight to deal with the same problem. I wouldn't suggest ordering it online. Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, and any garden store will have it.

Nikki

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Get some fishing twine and old music CDs and hang them around. That will keep them out.

4. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I had problems with the bird netting being too "open" for strawberries. The birds managed to see the berries through the holes in the netting and could still peck them. I should have built a cage over them I guess. What worked for me was floating row cover or tulle (net fabric - check the fabric store).

I lucked out and found a garage sale where someone was selling yard upon yard of black tulle for $2. It worked really well. (Still does - I think I have a lifetime supply, lol). The black color seemed to keep the birds from noticing the ripening fruit, but it let through plenty of light for the plants. I just laid it over the plants and held it down with some rocks. I need to go out and put the tulle over my strawberries soon; I saw lots of little green berries today. :)

5. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Really? I came in here to search for info about keeping birds away. I've tried just about everything...my problem is that they're snipping off the corn as soon as it sprouts. :grump:
    I'll try the CD's thing...thanks!

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Thanks for ya'lls thoughts. I found a place to order it online I got to 14 by 14 for $35 including shipping surely walmart would not have been much cheaper. I bought two so she can put one over one of the peach trees to try to keep the deer from eating them, I should have built a fence around them all before I left but $ was tight then.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom uses tulle and I use CDs. LOL...

8. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

jnap,

maybe it's me .., but that seems a bit expensive. I just picked up some more this morning from the local garden center (the one I raved about a few weeks ago) and it only cost me $8.99 plus tax for 14x14 bird netting.

Nikki

9. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been saving all those internet sign-up CD's that come in the mail...must have 2 dozen by now...free!!!

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Mama2littleman,
    SHOOT I have been ripped off it was the best I could do on the internet Maybe I should have checked more sites I heard walmart has a site. Well that ruins my day knowing that. I just wanted to get something to her quick I will never make that mistake again.

11. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

We used 4 rebar stakes(very cheap) 4' long. Pounded them into the ground in each corner. Then took thin pvc pipe sections(again, cheap) but wide enough to slide over the rebar - 8 or 10 foot lengths, I think 10'. Slip them over the rebar making an X over the beds and then placed the netting over the whole thing. I anchor by a few bricks placed at the bottom of the netting. The netting is held up by the pvc at about a foot over the plants. So far so good. :)

12. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Hengal,

Consider this fair warning ... I'm stealing your idea! That is way less complicated then draping them over the individual containers. Plus, I could use the "frame" for my shade cloth when the temps really being to soar (it's ONLY been in the high nineties for the last two weeks), thus halving my workload.

Thanks for the tip!

Nikki

13. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

jnap, suggestion: think pigeon pie. alter recipe for your type of bird. serve piping hot.

14. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

I bought several plastic pink flamingos and parked them in the strawberry patch. Every once in a while I mix them up again. . . . seems to work for me although my patch isn't very big. . . it's a "raised bed" patch made out of my kid's former sandbox.

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

16. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Jnap31 -

Glad you can use the idea! Truthfully, I may have discovered it on these forums somewhere, I don't remember. All I know is I swiped it from someone else!! LOL! Good luck! :)

17. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We couldn't keep the birds or the squirrels out of the strawberries. DH built a box using 1x1's and covered it with hardware cloth. Was a bit pricey to start but is a permanent year-round solution.

18. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Good news! The first place I ordered from was out so I canceled my order today, and bought it from the cheap meadowfarmsupply place.

19. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Strawberries? Consider yourself lucky!

Dog gone woodpeckers are showing off to their mates by attacking my HOUSE!

And I can't get up high enough for hanging the CD's!

20. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Cindy, as of today, I'm feeling your pain! Theiving squirrel stole my eggplant! I watched him do it righ in front of me. I was a week away from eggplant parmigan! Ugh, the bird netting kept the birds at bay, but that darn squirrel made a hole in the netting and just helped himself to his very own salad bar. It seems that the container rims make an excellent perch for the little bugger. Then, he stole a lemon from my little meyer lemon tree. Can't have a proper southern lunch without lemonade, you know.

How on earth does anyone manage to get any produce from their garden? I never had problems like this in squirrel, rabbit and the infested north east. There may have been some minor pilfering, but not the wholesale destruction of the harvest. And most importantly, where on earth did a squirrel come from in the middle of the high desert?

Nikki