birdhouse gords

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by stumpyacres, Nov 15, 2004.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Much to my suprise - my dh helped me paint the gords and hang them up - did anyone else make any?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We raise a couple plants on the barnyard fence each year. It hustles them to get mature before frost, but they still keep pretty well. I picked them and brought them in the garage right after frost. Last week we washed them with a mild bleach solution to prevent mold, and put them upstairs to dry out. It is cool up there but doesn't freeze.
    I bore 3 or 4 little holes in the bottom to allow them to drain and air out a little when I turn them into bird houses after they are dry enough to rattle. Wrens seem to prefer them over wooden boxes. One pair of wrens will use three of them in one season.

3. mikeg

mikeg Active Member

I have not planted them for a couple of years, I threw all of my seed in compost pile and I get a nice canopy over the top and all over the sides every year. I let them dry and then put a coat of varnish on them when ready and then I grab a hand full and hang them along the trails in my woods. I probably have a hundred or more out there now.

4. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

why does everyone seem to paint them white?

5. Dennis-NC

Dennis-NC New Member

I believe it is to reflect the sun light. Should make them a little cooler I guess.

6. mikeg

mikeg Active Member

I like the natural look myself and hanging them along a wooded trail keeps down the heat. I vary the size opening and see several different sized birds around them the most prominant being the wood wren.

7. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

will bluebirds use birdhouse gords?

8. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I have about 12 birdhouse gourds in our front yard, and several bluebird houses. Only one of the gourds are used occasionally by bluebirds I guess because of the smaller diameter of the hole...
    My Daughter and I love crafting with gourds

[​IMG]

Here's a few other pictures
    Small basket
    Basket 2
    Basket lid

9. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member