Bird Watchers...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Shambalah, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Shambalah

Shambalah Well-Known Member

2. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Coolie. We love watching the birds around here. I was overjoyed to see 'my' woodpecker the other day, after not seeing him for several months. The wee ones we babysit love to follow us around, filling bird feeders and scattering seed--it's cute to see my two big kids showing the lit'l ones how it's done. :)

~~

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Our birds chirp and let us know the feeder is empty and they need a refill ! We really enjoy watching them.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I watched this one for a couple of years but then she disappeared
    [​IMG]

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Dh loves that kind of stuff. Every year we take a boat ride to S. Texas and birding is HUGE there. Personally, I can't tell a Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker from a Pileated Woodpecker, nor do I particularly care to learn the difference, but he thinks it's just grand. :shrug:

donsgal

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

What a cool female cardinal Bearfootfarfm! I wonder if she was an albino, or has some other kind of recessive gene. I'm so glad you started this thread, Shambalah! It's great to hear from other birders here. We feed year round, and our wild friends have so much personality. Yesterday it was bitterly cold and snowy, and the snow had drifted up on the birdfeeder on both sides so that they couldn't get the few seeds that were left in there out. I looked out the back window, and there was a red-bellied woodpecker, a whole family of cardinals, and a handful of house sparrows sitting on the feeder and in the tree staring a hole in the window as if to say, "Um, lady, we're WAITING here." After I brushed it off and refilled it, a virtual mob of birds showed up. I always wonder how they tell each other that dinner is on.

7. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

I've been a commited bird watcher & feeder for many years! Nothing more relaxing than having my cup of coffee while sitting by the picture window watching as my birds come in to feed. I have 5 suet feeders and 7 seed feeders that I keep filled. What type of birds to y'all get in? So far this winter I've had:
    Blue Jays, Cardinals, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Gold Finches, Purple Finches, Pine Grosbeaks, Red Bellied, Hairy & Downy Woodpeckers and Morning Doves.
    I have never participated in the count but I will this year! Thank you for the link!!

8. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Wow, you ARE a commited feeder! We only keep one big seed feeder, one suet feeder, two hummingbird feeders in season, plus a big boulder that we cover with seed for the ground feeders. We have all the ones you listed except pine grosbeaks, plus lots of house and red finches, slate juncos, and several varieties of sparrows. We have many many more in summer and during migratory times, but right now it's just our faithful winter birds. For awhile, we had a clever perigrine falcon who discovered that he could sit in the tree next to the feeder and wait for lunch to come to him. Yikes! Do you all keep a log of what you see? I record all of the new birds as I see them, plus the annual arrival dates of some of the migratory birds. It's amazing how consistant their arrivals are from year to year.

9. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

They've really been feeding heavy of late here. I just put suet out yesterday. Hope it doesnt draw raccons like last time. Three big ones came to eat at the suet feeder....Whew!