Bird Watchers--q about Barn Swallows

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rio002, Mar 26, 2006.

1. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Hi all, For several years now we have had a mating pair of Barn Swallows nest in the garage--always the same nest, always early spring. Last year we had a different pair of Barn swallows show and build a nest about 2 feet away from the other one and had a summer brood. All was fine til about 2 weeks ago when Pair #1 tore out Pair #2's nest--I figured this was just terrirorial. Pair #1 seemed to be "cleaning" their nest and I had been out there working in the garage (they've gotten fairly used to me outthere and it was only maybe 10min. here and there) and forgot to shut off the light for 2 nights, on day 3 I went out to shut off the light and Pair #1 had tore out their nest as well. So what do you think? Did they take out their nest (#1) because of the light being left on? Are they that sensitive? or are they just moving on? Thanks!

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We have them too. They are flock orientated, and pair orientated. The pairs are like fighter pilots. One goes out first and attracts attention. While you are watching the first one, then the second one comes in and gets you from the blind-side.

Then later when the chicks grow to flying age, families will join together for evening mosquito feasting.

This fall:

[​IMG]
    Baby barn swallows in the nest.

[​IMG]
    Just after the barn swallows got out of the nest, still huddled on the wash line.

[​IMG]
    Barn swallows online, with wash, their nest was just above the wash line on the outside edge of the second floor back deck.

Enjoy,

Alex

btw, Their nest was just below a 500 W halogen yard light, which we often leave on all night, if it's windy, the movement of grasses and branches will bring it on. They did NOT move.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

What beautiful pictures !!! I love them. We have barn swallows around town. One little bird made it's nest as you walk in the church door. They were "messy" and someone real smart drew a bullseye on a paper and stuck it out there one Sunday morning. As we came out the door, everyone was laughing. It was a smart bird, too, and could definitely hit the bullseye !

4. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous view Alex, (that's my boys' name too). I look forward to seeing them each spring in the garage, that's why I'm concerned as to why they left--we discussed it here at the house and they had been coming here without fail for 6 springs straight, same nest, same everything............maybe they're just renovating.:)

GrannyG that's funny, you know I had heard they will nest just about anywhere, even with lots of people traffic, they sure are brave little things. :)

5. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

GREAT PICTURES THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :cowboy:

6. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a kid barn swallows were very common. Come to think of it I have not seen one in years. I wish I could attract some to my place. They would certainly be welcome,