Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else seeing this?

When we first moved to the country and started feeding the birds, we were paying $12 for 50 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds, which is $.24 a pound. It went up a little last year to $14 for 50 pounds. Now, all of a sudden, it's $20 for 40 pounds, which is $.50 a pound - more than double - and we go through almost a bag a week in the coldest part of winter.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
We've noticed it here too and have given up putting out birdseed. We do put out suet cakes. We can get those pretty cheap at places like Menards and Meijers will have a buy one box of 10 get one free a lot of times.
grandma chicken
aka karen in NE Indiana

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Same in SD. I am only able to purchase a bag every so often. Menards had suet (Garfield) for .98/each so I was able to purchase enough to last a couple of months. I'm waiting for sunflower seeds to go on sell. During the growing season I plant a small patch of sunflowers for the birds but they don't last very long, the Goldfinches enjoy them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes, have noticed the increase here in Missouri also. Local farm supply place had suet blocks for .50 on black friday. Picked up a few blocks today. Amazing what I could spend on bird seed, or go to the grocery store! Wife votes for the groceries, but I do enjoy seeing the birds out the window!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
We have some bird feeders here. Also noticing birdseed prices are higher. DH has been putting out chicken scratch grain for the wild birds, too. It costs about $11-12 for 50 lbs. Not cheap, but cheaper than birdseed. We already buy it for our chickens, and we always saw the wild birds swooping in to eat it in the chicken yard. So now we just put some in the feeders, too.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I noticed that too. I didn't cut back the stuff in the flower beds yet this year so that the birds can eat those seeds. I just can't spend that much money for seed all through the winter. I'll buy seed later when the other is picked clean or when the snow comes.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Oil Sunflower has gone up to $25 for 50#........this year.
Premium mixed seed is up to $14, for 40#, But I still buy 'em both.
Suet cakes have been $10 a dozen out here for about 3 years.

One of my Joys in Life is watching the birds, that flock out here,
25 or more male Cardinals at a time and equal numbers of females,
or a dozen Blue Jays...... Titmouses, chickadees, house finches,
Nuthatches, or 6 or 8 various wood peckers, at a time.........
It's just beautiful! I just wish we got a little more Snow, to show them
up better.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We love the birds so much and even with seed as expensive as it is, we'll not stop feeding them. One of our feeders is outside my office window and I can watch them all day while I'm working. Right now I can see a titmouse, two chickadees, two house sparrows, a downy woodpecker, and three or four juncos on the ground.

And Old John, I'm with you, I wish we had snow! Our bird friends show up in droves when it snows! I just bought a heated bird bath so they can have water this winter.

WIHH, I'm going to see about getting suet from the butcher. We have a lot of woodpeckers too and they sure love the stuff. Thanks for the picture of those pilated woodpeckers!

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
We only feed during winter because we have a huge problem with grackles during summer (and we don't get snow), and the cardinals don't come around much except during winter. Anyway, DH stopped at the feed store the other day to buy a few pounds of sunflower seeds and commented to me, when he got home, that the price had gone up. Like y'all, our birds bring us too much joy to stop feeding, but we might not be quite as generous if our budget begins to tighten. Just this morning, there were blue jays, sparrows and cardinals in the feeder, with a pair of ring-necked doves and our resident squirrel feeding on the ground below. To behold sights like that are worth every penny of the cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts