bird netting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by affenpinschermom, Apr 29, 2005.

1. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

We lost all of our grapes last year to birds. I was wondering if anyone has tried the bird netting and if so, what size mesh? any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I use 1/2 inch. It works on the apricots, so I will be trying it on the grapes, this year...I'll let you know how it worked!

3. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

Hi Dandrea! I have just ordered a 14'x14' mesh from Henry Field's catalogue.....my strawberries were being eaten by the birds last spring, and in desperation, I went to my sewing room and found some tulle....(ballerina tutu material) and used that to cover them last year.....the "holes" in it were only about 1/4" and it worked excellently last year.....however, when I took it down at the end of the year...it fell apart in my hands...so it wouldn't hold up for a long time. If your "thread" is still running later, I'll let you know what happens with my new 5/8" mesh that should be arriving soon....I know the guy at the local hardware store said that chicken wire will not work, because he tried it, and the birds got through it. Kathrynlmv

4. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

It's important to keep the mesh or other barrier up off the plants so the birds cannot peck thru the mesh to the fruit. It is also important to pin down the sides of the mesh. A determined robin, who is supposedly a carnivore, will go under the edges and do a lot of damage. So, also will raccoons, rodents, etc.