Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm been getting so much enjoyment from watching a bird nest being built in my hanging plant, just outside a window, to now seeing all the worms being brought in to feed the babies. It's totally amazing to me. I guess I've learned something though. There were two birds building the nest and now there's two flying in with their food. Does the dad help out with all this process too? I haven't watered my plant, afraid I'd disturb things. It's beginning to need watering pretty badly.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
I have a pair of house finches that come back every year and build a nest in my hanging fern. This year I was somewhat later than usual buying a fern and I had almost decided against getting one. I found some that were really cheap at Home Depot and the first day I had it up the inches were building in it. She laid 3 eggs 2 hatched and the babies have already flown the nest. It was a lot of fun watching them grow. I got my step stool out at least 3 times a week to check on them much to the mother's dismay. She would sit on the power line and cheep at me. Hope you have much fun watching them as I did. :baby04:

·
mean people suck
2,533 Posts
That is so cool! My little ones (6 and 4) stayed all nite with my mom and she has a similar situation going on with a fake hanging plant on her front porch. She said the kids have been absolutely fascinated with watching the momma bird feed the babies. They figured out that if she could see them then she wouldn't come around so they built a "fort" to hide under and watch her.

·
Tweety
164 Posts
You can water the plant with a long-nosed watering can, just tuck the nose at the soil level on the edge of the pot. Momma may get upset but you can do it fast and go right away.
Yes, most songbird couples share the family duties.
Male wrens will build several nests but their mate will only use one. It's not certain if they are simply filling up available nest boxes so no other wrens can use them, or if they are trying to entice the female with lots of homemaking possibilities.
They are fun to watch, aren't they?

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

A chickadee made a nest in the top of one of my wife's windchimes. The windchimes are small, but you would think the sound would keep the little bird away.

RF

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tweety said:
You can water the plant with a long-nosed watering can, just tuck the nose at the soil level on the edge of the pot. Momma may get upset but you can do it fast and go right away.
Yes, most songbird couples share the family duties.
Male wrens will build several nests but their mate will only use one. It's not certain if they are simply filling up available nest boxes so no other wrens can use them, or if they are trying to entice the female with lots of homemaking possibilities.
They are fun to watch, aren't they?
I shared this reply with my DH. He said "Well, that's just like a woman, we work ourselves silly and can't ever please them." :)

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today, with a flashlight, I got a peek at the little furry babies. They all had their mouths wide open, waiting for food. I'm certain I saw three, but not sure if there's more or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.