Bird Flu

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nostalgia, Feb 11, 2004.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Any thoughts you would like to share about the bird flu? Are you concerned?
    Do you think the flu here in America could possibly be the same flu overseas?

First we have mad cow, now the bird flu, what next, and why is this happening? Is this only the beginning of more animal diseases? If these types of diseases continue to spread, how is it going to affect us as humans?

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

2. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

Well, I try not to worry about anything that kills fewer people than lightning. So no, avian influenza doesn’t fluster me. Neither does BSE.

My opinion is simple. Life is all about dying. You are going to die. Something will also kill your children, grandchildren, and every genetic progeny you can imagine. Some time in the future, either Rapture will occur, or Sol will explode, ending all life on Earth. Instead, focus on living.

I try to worry about what I can DO something about. Last night, for the two hours I had between getting home from work and going to bed, I played with my children. I made faces at my daughter until she laughed, and I chased my son until his bath time. Then we sat in “daddy’s chair” and I read them the “train book”, my son’s choice, not mine. Then they went to bed and I went to bed. I got up at 1 AM, paid bills, took a shower, and went back to work to make the money to pay more bills.

I don’t have time to bicker and moan about bird flu. I’m much more concerned about getting good information out of the Mars rovers than I am about BSE. I’m stuck with a President who shoots a 500 billion dollar deficient to the most pork-spending friendly congress in history. My last president was so dumb, he didn’t know what “is” means.

With the State of the World in such a sorry state, and my children’s future being sold on building a rain-forest project in Iowa, why would I have time to worry about something causing less than 30 deaths out of almost 7 billion people? Heck, 600 children under the age of 6 are murdered by their own mothers in the US every year. This is a bigger deal than bird flu, but it doesn’t get any press.

3. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

There is a new book out called "The Great Influenza" by John Barry that cronicles the Flu epidemic of 1918 that killed 20 million people worldwide. That flu was also of avian origins. The crucial change that made that flu so infectious in people appears to be a single amino acid. Scientists still do not know why that flu spread so rapidly and killed so efficiently.

Flu kills some 36,000 people in a normal year. That is a lot. The Asian Bird Flu, known officially as A(H5N1) has not evolved into an epidemic-causing virus. So far this year, it has only killed 20 people, most of whom contracted it from direct exposure to sick birds. But Flu mutates rapidly, and it is capable of swaping genetic material like shuffling a deck of cards to create new strains. It has now been found in some swine which has a DNA makeup much closer to ours. That has the World Health Organization worried.

Keeping hands clean and staying away from crowded places is still one of the best things you can do to avoid getting sick. If you go to the grocery store and push a buggy around, then be sure to wash your hands before touching any of your food or car steering wheel. Keep a small bottle of hand disinfectant in your car or purse or hand wipes.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm worried about it, but not for me, for my chickens!

I raise pasture poultry and there is no way to keep total biosecurity when there are wild birds above the pastures.

The only thing I can do is keep things as clean as possible, discourage wild birds from being around my flock and hope for the best.

I am not the least bit worried about getting sick myself.

Jena

5. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) This is this mornings bulletins from the CDC e-mail newsletter:

Good afternoon, I wanted to ensure that you knew that Delaware has detected a second flock infected with Avian Influenza (AI). This is NOT the
    same strain of AI that has spread through Asia and caused human illnesses and at least 19 deaths. Please! Practice good
    biosecurity and, if you are in Texas, please call the Texas Animal Health Commission at 1-800-550-8424 to report unusual death losses or illness. Carla Everett

DELAWARE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

and:

I have just received this information regarding the spread of avian influenza into New Jersey. Please encourage owners to practice good biosecurity and report any unusual illness or death losses in flocks. Carla

Avian flu found at four New Jersey live chicken markets
    By Associated Press
    2/12/2004 9:09:00 AM

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- A strain of bird flu has been found at four live chicken markets in northern New Jersey, just days after outbreaks at two farms in Delaware led to the destruction of thousands of birds.

New Jersey health officials stressed that the findings are not unusual for the state's live poultry markets and said the strain is not known to be harmful to humans.

Nancy Halpern, the state veterinarian, said the markets likely got the virus from one of the many farms and distributors who supply them. New Jersey has about 35 live chicken markets across the state.

"We believe the virus is coming to (the markets)," Halpern told The Star-Ledger of Newark in a story published Thursday. "They can be doing everything right and still have a market that tests positive."

Halpern said the state tested the markets in late January, as it typically does every winter, and results have been received for about half

the sites. She would not identify the markets where the strain was found.

Markets found to be infected are instructed to sell off all birds, and then clean and sanitize all cages and equipment before reopening.

Officials said the strain found in New Jersey is the same one found at two farms in Delaware since last week. The strain is not related to the virulent variety of avian influenza that is blamed for the deaths of at least 19 people in Vietnam and Thailand.

Clifton Lacy, commissioner of the state Department of Health and Senior Services, said there was only a small chance that the weak strain could mutate into a stronger form that could harm humans.

"The key (to preventing problems) is stringent sanitary measures on farms and culling the flocks," he said.

In Delaware, the disease was found last week on a farm in Kent County operated by an independent grower who sold to a live bird market in New York City.

Then on Tuesday, Delaware agriculture officials announced that tests confirmed avian flu on a second farm, saying it was a surprise that creates a "serious situation" for the region's poultry industry.

Even before the announcement about the second flock, China on Tuesday joined Poland, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and South Korea in banning U.S. poultry imports because of the previous discovery. Hong Kong had banned the import of live birds and poultry from Delaware only. Russia also temporarily banned Delaware imports.

Exports account for about 20 percent of the U.S. poultry industry.

We know these viruses can mutate and turn into something far more dangerous..so use your head and practice good flock security. LQ

6. Sarah K.

Sarah K. Well-Known Member

Folks, avian influenza is nothing new. When I lived in PA I can remember at least 2 years when there were outbreaks in the area where I lived, flocks being slaughtered, the poultry exibition at the Farm Show being cancelled, etc. It was all in the local news, but not, I believe, in the national news. The media is all in a tizzy because of a totally different strain on the other side of the world jumping to humans, and/or mad cow disease, or maybe just because we've gotten so used to being fear-mongered that many of us have come to expect and even enjoy it.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've worked in 3 different Poultry plants all three every so often had Birds come through with the Flu.Just clean the snout out and go on :eek: :D .No kidding it looks like snout on the inside of them Birds,long as their cleaned out USDA passes them.

big rockpile

8. Little Quacker in OR

Ya'll are absolutely right on when you point out that Avian Flu is nothing new. I guess I should clarify a couple of points and pass on why I feel so strongly about this subject and get upset when I find that someone is taking it less than seriously. Many communicable diseases start out being quite harmless and fairly localized. Then what happens...they mutate and then somehow we are in trouble. I'm not just addressing Avain Flu here but all of the pathogens that can be passed from bird to bird or through a carrier like a person, dog etc. We no longer live in isolated pockets with the traditional barriers of time and distance between us and our flocks. Air travel, automobiles etc have seen to this.

It embarrasses me to admit that I have studied this firsthand from a relative who was so stupid that he payed Mexicans to smuggle birds down into Mexico for fighting and then to smuggle them back. I cringe even while writing this.. :no: . Then he found out that this was so much fun and profitable,that he started paying to have purchased birds of a number of breeds(cheap you see)smuggled across the border and took them to bird sales here are there over a five state area and sold them to unsuspecting people who merrily took them home and plopped them in with their existing birds. As far as I know he and his friends, a whole bunch of Idiots numbering about a hundred people, are STILL doing this! And in several border states.

This was just before the last outbreak of Newcastle Disease and as you might know it resulted in seven states with infections and the slaughter of millions of birds. Not just commercial outfits but all of the pet flocks within the required radius and it didn't matter whether the owners never visited another flock or not!

So, all I am saying here is NO...these problems are NOT from the commercial outfits at all. They have millions of dollars invested in their businesses...they know about bio security. It's us small flock owners who are responsible for the importation and spread of these diseases and it's time we woke up. Here in Oregon we were shaking in our boots at that last Newcastle outbreak just waiting for some dunce to sneak birds over the border. We dodged the bullet that time. So, please don't think that you are immune...you no doubt have people in your area that would have no problem with buying birds from a sale or whatever and bringing them home and dumping them in with the rest of their flock. The next time it could well be something worse than the Avian Flu. And then everyone around would have all of their birds slaughtered. And for what..laziness. It doesn't make any sense at all.

LQ

9. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

The avian flu has made it to PA. http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20040212_704.html

I'm concerned, not for myself, but that it does not spread throughout the state and especially to my birds. I'm feeling hesitant to order chicks and may decide not to, if this thing spreads.

10. Little Quacker in OR

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Good Grief, I am an idiot! I am replying to TWO different posts on TWO sections of this forum like they are all one topic! Sorry about that! Now I have to go and post this on the other section of the Forum! :p LQ