Bird Flu Scenerio Video

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barnyardfun, May 4, 2006.

1. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I just don't get this...

Everyone is talking about this bird flu...

It's been in the news regularly and increasingly. And now they are using the words "IF and WHEN" it hits and "We are preparing vaccines"...

I just think this is silly.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Maybe "they" know something we don't ever consider that?

4. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

This particular strain of bird flu virus has been around since about 1997. All viruses mutate but if, as they say, it was to mutate from human to human, why hasn't it already? I know a pandemic flu may hit us again at some point, but I don't think this bird flu is it. Do I think the bird flu will end up in America, sure, in the bird population. I just think it's odds at this point of transmitting from human to human are limited in view of it's previous history.

I do stock up, but realistically because I know that our jobs in this country are no longer for a "lifetime" and neither is our health as we age. So, IMHO, stock up and prepare because while others are waiting for the bird flu, I am preparing in case our jobs/health fails.

5. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Um... We're doing such a good job fighting terroism in Iraq that they need SOMETHING to keep us scared?????????????????

Just a guess. :shrug:

6. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

The only way you could know that is coming is if you planned to release it.

7. KindredSpirit

Maybe it's a conspiracy to make us turn on our chickens!!! :eek: :D

8. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Past history says that it'll eventually arrive. Just as the plagues did, just as the Spanish flu did. We have such short memories.

9. KindredSpirit

I agree "it" will arrive, a pandemic. I just don't think it is this bird flu. A pandemic in birds maybe, and infecting humans through direct contact with said birds.

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I did not say it!

11. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

And swine flu and west nile virus and sars and........

12. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought for sure in a homesteading forum people would be smarter than this. :rolleyes: Haven't any of you read about the 1918 flu pandemic? I love my children and grandchildren enough to prepare for it. If it doesn't happen, wonderful! If it does we won't starve.

I had the swine flu. It WASN"T fun!

13. KindredSpirit

I've already mentioned we also stock up for anything that might come down the pike. I don't know if I will be equipped to cook longterm with no electricity though.

14. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

Ok, so what. They did not have antibiotics then. Bird flu has been going on for 9 years and all the sudden we decide it is going to mutate. Why have we not been getting prepared since 1918? And your right, I would expect more of this group than acting like a sheep and just following along. :(

15. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

By the way I took the flu vaccine for 4 years as I have a pacemaker. I got the flu each year I took the shot. It seems they did not guess the strain right when they made the vaccine for those years.

16. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I didn't post this as I was "following along" with the "panic". I posted it because honestly until I watched it I didn't realize "they" were making such a big deal of it.
    I too am trying to prepare my family, not necessarily for the bird flu, but for ANYTHING that could happen. Better safe then sorry. We are becoming self reliant so we can make it no matter what may happen.

17. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

I think you are very smart to do so. I hope your kids appreciate what you are doing. You never know what kind of disaster we could face. :)

18. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

antibiotics are useless against the flu....maybe for complications but not virus.

19. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

Your are 100% right. Vaccines even have to be more specific. I still ask why all the sudden it is a threat. We have had bird flu in Central South Texas along the coast in the geese and duck populations several times. The Central Flyway will have tons of exposed waterfowl fly down every year.

20. goatgirl2

goatgirl2 Active Member

Maybe I'm too Pollyanna on this, because I'm generally a healthy person, rarely come down with a flu. But, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking this is a hoax. It's a hoax somehow intertwined with NAIS. I keep thinking this will be an excuse for Monsanto and Ratheon to move forward with the new animal IDs and make it mandatory no matter what the citizens say. Am I just totally bonkers, or what? Maybe I think too much. debra in nm