Bird Flu Cure

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Scomber, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

Kim Chee. That's what the Koreans are saying. In response, several have pointed out that the Koreans have too much national pride invested in kim chee for this to be unbiased. But the Koreans looked closer and are saying that kim chee, sauerkraut, old fashioned brined pickles, or any brined preserved vegetable works. It's the bacteria involved, rather than the vegie itself. They say it kills the virus.

I read this in the New Scientist magazine that came in today's mail. New Scientist is a weekly, and is sort of like a Brittish version of Scientific American. www.newscientist.com

Meanwhile, an op-ed in the local weekly by one of the state health people commented that in 1918, Maine had 3/4 of a million people, and 5000 flu deaths, which I think is fairly low, compared to some places. She said that one of the factors in this was that Mainers were very self sufficient in those days. I wonder how much sauerkraut they ate. It was a more common dish back then.

Dan

2. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

Heard this very same thing in the radio a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately I like it.

3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

I looked and coudnt find teh article do you have the link?

4. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I'm open to trying anything. But it seems to me you can't actually kill the regular flu- hence good doctors that won't actually give antibiotics anymore for it. I believe spicy food, garlic and onions can ward off illness but I just need some actual proof that kimchi will destroy the bird flu.

5. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I read the same research about a month ago. An interesting correlation: Optimum Health Institute has long championed fermented cabbage as part of their very successful cancer treatment program. The kim chee "discovery" makes perfect sense.

For recipes, simply do an internet search on kim chee recipes and you'll get all kinds of them - ignore the bland versions; the garlic and pepper is also crucial to killing bacteria. (Those tiny Asian hot peppers can actually kill harmful bacteria ingested in food/water during remote travel in southeast Asia.)

We've decided to incorporate Kim Chee into our winter diet!
    BW

6. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

No, but it's in the Feedback section of the November 26 issue.

You can also Google 'kim chee bird flu' and get several thousand hits, several of which on the first page seemed relavant.

Dan