bird feeders & houses

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OkieGene, Dec 30, 2003.

1. OkieGene

OkieGene New Member

just wondering how many make their own bird feeders and houses? and if anyone has any new ideas or patterns, not just the same o same o ?

thanks

okie gene

2. I found the best feeders to be a wood frame with wire mesh stapled on both sides.I render down fat[ free from the butchers] and mix it with bird seed.Once the cake has hardened, I put it inside the frame[ un screw one end] and hang it outside my window.The birds seem to like this better than just seed, and because they have to pick it out, don't scatter it on the ground- a potential attraction for rats.I think the seed-fat combination might be more nutritional for them, and it also attracts a wider variety of birds-everything from little creepers to woodpeckers

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm big on bluebird houses. I use the plan that allows you to make a complete house from one board. I have searched the net and found plans for other houses and will build some this winter.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Hi OkieGene! I LOVE making bird houses! LOL If you will e-mail me I'll get some shots of some of mine(I have about 100 of them up)and send them to you. They truely are fun aren't they? For me, the true test of a good bird house is that the birds use them and hatch their young successfully there. Right now I'm trying to design a Bluebird House shaped like a Fir Tree. I have both sides cut out and now must get the house it'self done. I do manage to keep the people who make wood filler in business! Can't saw a straight line! :no:

Second thought...Get your hands on a copy of "Birds and Blooms"..many great ideas in that Mag. I know someone here on the forum will have one laying around(I took all of mine to the Doc's office). Then, contact any of the well known wood working mags that sell the birdhouse supplies. There are very good ideas in them also. I like finding a picture that looks like it would be a good birdhouse and going from there. It's fun duplicating old barns, post offices, grain silos, cafe's, Bed & Breakfast places etc. :cool: Then, collect old license plates, they make good roofs. Drift wood is neat too. LQ