Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I filled up this feeder with black oil sunflower seed on Friday afternoon and it's almost empty! That's a big feeder!

I have 7 different bird feeders around my yard and keeping them full is not only getting to be a chore but expensive!
I guess what I want to know is if there is a bird seed that will draw birds without them behaving like they are starving to death?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Are you sure that just the birds are eating the seed. We have squirrels who love our bird feeders and will do amazing stunts to get to them. I imagine other critters will get into them too, especially if you are not watching.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
love birds but its not long before squirrels may invade. had a feeder like yours and they broke a side out. plus they came onto the porch, took the lid off the seed can and helped themselves. now they found the feed in the chicken house.

yesterday i switched to a squirrel be gone feeder or something like that... got tired of spending a small fortune on seed. there must be 50 lbs of sunflower seeds socked away in the trees around the house.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Had a feeder just like that.
I hung it too low and wound up with a combination bird/cat feeder.
I had to relocate it.

I too like to use natural posts whenever possible.

T

·
0 Posts
Put safflower seeds in the feeder if you want just birds. For some reason squirrells don't like the taste of safflower and they stay away. Now if it's lean times they'll munch on them, but it's not their seed of choice. Oh, their seed of choice? SUNFLOWER AND BLACK OIL SEEDS.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
nice looking feeders! However, I can see how they'de be attractive and easy for squirrels to invade. Instead of feeders, I like to make micro habitats for birds from natural sources. Things such as planting berry trees that they like (ornamental crab, syberian pear, and such). Also, it's nice to 'watch' birds in the field where I mark out certain areas I know they feed on natural plantings. When mowing, leave small areas of weed patches or plants you put there they can have sanctuary and also feed on the things growing there. For humming birds, obviously live blooming flowers will attract them. I like that in deck planters to see them come around rather than bother with hanging bottle feeders. I used to put out feeders with black sunflower seeds and evening grosbeaks pigged out, and that was fine. They were funny and interesting creatures, nesting nearby to feed their young that learned quickly about the feeder routine. lol Maybe this winter I'll put out feeders again. I only would use black oil sunflowers and maybe some deer tallow. There already is plenty of spruce and pine seeds (cones) they devour. Squirrels......we get the pesky very small red ones. shoot them. They can be quite destructive if they get into the eaves to your attic.

·
Tweety
164 Posts
Do you have deer around? They love sunflower seeds and could easily get into the feeder in the picture and would clean it out in a flash. A friend who has a lot of deer ended up putting a wire fence around the feeders. Deer won't jump into a really small enclosure so the feeder was safe.

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
I have learned to only use metal poles with a baffle around it halfway up. Also to keep them at least 8 feet from any higher surface the squirrels and other rodents can jump from.
I used to fill them every other day (black sunflower seeds) and now it's once every four/five days and I actually have more birds!

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
We only put out a sm. coffee can early in the am.... under the "early bird gets the worm theory" ! ..if we leave feed out we end up feeding squirrels and our dogs who love bird seed! DH sits out and drinks his coffee watching the birds so the squirrels don't show....we have had alot of activity but easing now with the baby birds out on their own. We do get alot of different birds in the summer though..like red winged blackbirds and gorgeous indigo buntings. In the winter we fill lots of feeders. You might try those hanging mesh feeders; way less waste. We do feed some on the ground as some birds prefer that. Our resident bluebirds have raised three families this year...they don't eat at the feeders but they love the birdbath.... if the crazy poodle hasn't drunk all the water!! DEE

·
Registered
442 Posts
My resident squirrel gnawed a hole 3" in diameter through the door frame and partly the door jamb to get at a bag of peanuts!

With the feeder that low to the ground, it can be emptied real fast by the deer. -- or squirrel.

By the way, the damaged door was replaced with a metal door set in a wood frame. He ate the weather stripping off the bottom then started chewing on the frame!! I painted the bottom of the door with tobasco sauce mixed with ceyenne pepper. Havent seen him since!!

tinda :shrug:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No squirrels here at home...unfortunately. We used to have one that I adopted and would leave out food for it but I haven't seen it around for 2 summers now. We have alot of birds here and ALOT of crows. I have especially started to see yellow finches now more than ever. I think the birds are eating from this feeder more than the other feeders because I haven't had to fill the others up as much. Most are still half full.

Tweety, that is a thought although I haven't seen tracks lately but I do I know that they come around at night sometimes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was told that squirrels don't like safflower seed so that's what I put in my feeders. The squirrels have left them alone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tinda said:
With the feeder that low to the ground, it can be emptied real fast by the deer. -- or squirrel.

tinda :shrug:
Well, I think I know who the culprits are now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Cute feeder! I too have been filling my feeders on a daily basis with oil seed. I have been keeping a close watch on them and I just have a lot of birds who are hungry! Here is it very dry so I imagine that the birds aren't finding much to eat. More evidence of this is this- I was riding the mower the other day and a flock of swallows followed me all around the yard because as I mowed there were little bugs that flew up out of the lawn. The swallows were scooping them up and came really close to crashing in to me while I was mowing. They have NEVER done that before. If it is dry in your area I bet that is the cause.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
paintlady, I haven't seen any swallows over here by the house although they do dive bomb the truck sometimes when I'm on the road.

And thanks for all of the compliments on the feeder. I crafted it from some driftwood that I found along the beach. I think it looks just right on this lonely little hill. I'm thinking that the deer think so too, now. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts