bioneers conference, anyone going?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone going to the Bioneers conference Oct 14-16. if so let me know. i'm saving up now and if i have enough and I'm not out of town, i'm going.

http://www.blackwoodland.com/bioneers/info.htm

http://www.bioneers.org/programs/satellite/2005.php

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    "Bioneers" (root: "biological pioneers") is a term coined by filmmaker, author and eco-activist Kenny Ausubel to describe very diverse individuals and groups working in a broad array of fields who (initially often unbeknownst to each other) generate creative solutions to our environmental and socio-cultural crises rooted in a few shared values, including: holistic (or "whole systems") thinking; a recognition of all life's interdependence; and mutual aid. In many cases the technological or social solutions to problems these "practical visionaries" propose are founded on a deep respect for and sophisticated emulation of nature's own self-organizing systems (rather than linear, reductionistic attempts to dominate and subjugate the natural world).

Ausubel founded an annual conference of the same name, which currently takes place in San Rafael, California, the third weekend in October, to highlight the work of these figures and to help support, nurture and propagate their ideas and models. It has, over the course of the last 15 years become, arguably, the nation's leading (and certainly its most diverse, cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary) independent eco-conclave, bringing together some of the most accomplished doers and thinkers from a wide range of fields: environmental and socio-political activism; "green" biology, chemistry, design, architecture and urban planning; organic and "beyond organic" farming and gardening; indigenous perspectives; biodiversity and wildland preservation; alternative energy; engaged spirituality, literature and the arts; holistic and "ecological" medicine; ethno-botany; socially-responsible entrepreneurship , business and philanthropy; the environmental justice, women's and youth movements; independent media ; etc.

Finally "Bioneers" is also the name of the Northern New Mexico-based non-profit organization that was originally created to produce the annual event, but whose activities have expanded far beyond that to include a much wider (and steadily growing) array of projects, including: hands-on trainings in various aspects of organic agriculture, the building of a membership base, books, radio series, audio-tapes and DVDs, newsletters, reports, live satellite feeds of the conference to many locales, spin-off events around the country and internationally; film festivals; special youth organizing initiatives; etc, etc.

2. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

That looks like an awesome conference. I need something to get me fired up again. Maybe I'll get a bunch of money somehow...

Beaux

3. Sparticle

I'm going to one of the satellite conferences which is a lot cheaper ($150). When you are looking for info on the conference, make sure to read the stuff for the one you might go to. The one in california is the main one but the speakers will be different for each place. They will be broadcasting some of the speakers from california to each of the satelite conferences. I'm going to the Houston one. Here is some more infor:

Conference Details: as of 8/9/2005
    Cost for three days until Oct. 1, 2005 is $150.00 or $75.00 for a day
    Cost for three days after Oct. 1, 2005 is $200.00 or $100.00 for a day
    Work exchange and scholarships are readily available and encouraged call 713-768-3422.
    Meals provided by the Art Institute of Houston $11.00 per day per meal
    Credit cards registration is available.
    Fri. evening, tour of LEEDS certified School of Nursing. Will be bused to Medical Center, food available Arch. for building project Rives Taylor will be guide and available for discussion. $25.00.
    Sat. evening, Concert at the Song Bird Sanctuary, $10.00 117 Stratford, Houston, Texas 77006
    "The Harvest" a developing Waldorf school in the Woodlands will be providing care/activities this year for children. Children registered for childcare must be at least 3 yrs old & potty trained.....
    $4/one child - $5/two - $6/three - per hour

4. ellebeaux

Hey Quint, thanks for pointing that out to me (duh). I guess I can go to the Washington DC one! And since I'll be unemployed by that date, I will have the time to do it!

It looks really great and I think it would give me the boost I need right now.

Beaux

5. Sparticle

No problem. I need some serious motivation too. I have so much I need to learn and I need to make some connections with people. I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels out here and I want to put my energy somewhere that it's more of an investment than a waste which is what i'm doing now. I'm ready to get GOING with my life and all I'm doing is messing up and hitting dead ends. I don't know if this conference will help or not, but at least it will be a wonderful break and I'll be around people who think like I do. I can't really afford the $150, but I figure I've got 3 paychecks till then and I'll just scrimp and save more than usual. I just need this.

P.S. quint and I are 2 different people :-o

6. ellebeaux

Ooops! I think my mind just blanks out when I see the word physics anywhere...

I'm trying to build a group of like-minded friends here in my new area. It's so hard to keep my youthful idealism in the face of unemployment and a brand new mortgage.

good luck at the conference,

Beaux