Biodiesel

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane greene, Aug 29, 2004.

1. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

We recently learned you can use biodieseal in an oil furnance, with the problem being getting a source for biodiesel. Our oil this year will be $1.69 a gallon, but you can make biodiesel for about .70 cents a gallon. Any of you ever make it? I called a couple fast food restaurants and they said we could have their used vegetable oil if we arranged advance pick-up - so that part is doable.

I also came across a company called Biodiesel Solutions which offers some machinery to do the job - anyone have personal experience with one of these? www.makebiodiesel.com The device is $3000 -cheaper than installing the wood stove or pellet fireplace inserts I was looking at.
    Opinions?

2. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't make that kind of investment without a reliable locked in source for the oil. I live in MS and a commercial company is in the final planning stages of building two refineries here, so its only a matter of time before the competion gets greater for the used oil. This company plans collection of the used oil and using fresh soybean oil.

3. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

there is a very good group out there that does it right and low cost it is Payhwaytofreedom.com good luck

4. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

5. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

Sue - I tried to find Payhwaytofreedom.com, but it does not come up. I also tried pathwaytofreedom and that is one those scam "work at home" sucker business'. Could you please post the correct biodiesel site. I already have a successful home business - I'm looking for information on alternative fuel.

6. rj_in_MA

rj_in_MA Well-Known Member

7. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

Path to Freedom

They've been making their own biodiesel for their car for awhile now.

You might also want to check out the book, From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank: The Complete Guide to Using Vegetable Oil as an Alternative Fuel by Joshua Tickell.

8. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Look into a used oil furnace.

It costs about 3 grand but burns used oil from oil changes. Reznor makes them.

We have used one in our shop for five years now. Can't beat the "free" heat. Most small auto shops are more then willing to let you take their used oil, many even offering a few bucks to take it away.

Build a pumper with a brass gear pump and a reversible electric motor. Hook that to a surplus tank of any size you like.

We burn about 800 gal a winter.

Pete