biodiesel...or help me make a cancer victims wish come true

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BobK, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

My SIL just found out that her breast cancer has metastasized into both femurs, hips, c-spine, and a rib. I want to help her make a wish come true ....something she said would be 'such a feel good thing'......since her life priorities have changed completely in the last 4 days one thing she wants to do is get a diesel PU she can convert....have converted....to run on veggie oil. She is going to spend the next year traveling and playing...median life expectancy in her position is 21 months...who could blame her?

What truck would make the best conversion? Any other info/websites to help me get up to speed quickly would be much appreciated. She does want to get a camper shell for the truck...but would so enjoy traveling on McDonalds waste.....

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

3. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

Bob, time for your SIL is short. Don't let her, or encourage her, to waste time converting an engine to biodiesel! What she needs is maximum time to enjoy the time she has remaining upon this planet. All that time, energy, and money would best go towards letting her visit all the wonderful ecosystems our country provides us.

Think about it....do you want her hanging around an automotive shop trying to sort out mechanical problems? Do you want to see her stranded on the road trying to sort out some mechanical problem due to a less than perfect design? Or do you want to see her face light up when she sees Monument Valley, Big Bend, Yosemite, the Finger Lakes, or Niagra Falls?

Now this is just my humble opinion, but now is not the time for someone to try to express a 'green' feeling, but rather a time to embrace life, family, and God. Nature puts me in touch with God, and as much as I love mechanical projects, they do not provide me with the serenity that God's creations provide.

We will keep your SIL and her family in our prayers.....

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

She and I realize her time is short....seems like we're the only ones in the family not in denial.....she lived in Yosemite for years and we own property together on the Big Sur coast...as well as knowing friends who own better properties on the Big Sur coast....her remaining time will be spent enjoying the beauty of nature in as many places as she can get too......this is already in the works.....she expressed this desire today before leaving and I told her I would do some research on feasability...I had hoped that there was some 'canned' product that would make a conversion feasable and easy....I expressed the same concerns to her.....how the heck would you ever manage out on the raod by yourself? changing the oil is a challenge for her.......but she loathes to spend money on some things.....but she is not totally unreasonable.......if she could make this work it would please her to no end...if it looks to be far too difficult I will of course advise spending the money on fuel......your advice is about where I am at on this too but I had to look into it and be honest with her about what this will require.......thanks.....

5. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

Bob, it sounds as if she may have some 'guilt' at work. Instead of compromising her short remaining time, she needs to REWARD herself for her past work in supporting those around her and the environment.

I suspect that she feels 'guilty' for not doing enough for the environment. She needs to put that guilt aside. Her words, suggestions, and living will can address those issues. Right now, she needs to be a bit selfish! This is HER time, not a political time! She has undoubtedly already paid her dues.

If she feels a deep need to compensate for self-perceived environmental deficits, then she should organize a 'last wish' tour and solicit donations to the environmental group of her choice. But she doesn't have enough time to change the world within her own remaining time frame.

We, and she, would be better served if she made an effort to document her travels and her thoughts. Such things will persevere much longer than monkeying around with some pickup or SUV! I can well imagine the deep respect and love her extended family would have for such a personal document. But for her to waste time doing a 'feel good' conversion of a single vehicle....well, that is a waste of her all too valuable time.

Again, that's just my opinion, but I have been in a similar position with a 'best friend' and my Mom. My best friend spent the last two years of his life working on a project that deprived his family of his goodness. My Mom, on the other hand, spent the last months of her life documenting her life, sharing her travels, and teaching all her children about their roots. She also insisted that we who remained understood the value of the moment. Mom gave up all her 'projects' in order to focus upon PEOPLE!

6. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

I would seriously question the constant availability of biodiesel for long term (2 years) traveling. I doubt it is commonly available in most of the western US.

7. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

Good-luck, I think its a wonderful idea, and a great way to spend time :clap:

9. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

There are ready-made conversion kits you can buy and install quickly. You may also choose to buy an already-converted vehicle due to the time constraints.

Also, there are inexpensive kits that use two tanks, one regular diesel and one veggie oil or other biodiesel. You run the engine for the first few minutes on reg. diesel and then throw a switch to use the veggie oil; then before shutting down you run a few minutes on reg diesel again. This is for the case where low temps prevent you using the veggie oil straight.

10. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Your far offbase in your assessment of my SIL...she has no 'guilt' issues at all...she has lived her live simply so that others may simply live...and is one of the few who I know who can claim this...Her motivations for a biodiesel rig are selfish...nothing would please her more than to be able to 'thumb her nose' so to speak on the concept of fuel usage......I do not want a project for her nor does she want a project developing a biodiesel rig...she wants to use one....period....and she has the $$ to make it happen if it shows feasability.....she would find great joy in being able to use a biodiesel rig....but won't lose any sleep over it if it does not come to pass...she has enough to lose sleep over as it is....I appreciate your feelings on this issue as I share many of them....but I know her motivations and you do not....which makes it easier for me to put her wishes into perspective......thanks for your concern though her fate is one far too many woman must face....as do their families and friends......

11. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

That's what I am looking for!!

Do you know of anyone in the NW...washington or oregon that is doing biodiesel conversions?

How about the performance/reliability factor with these conversions?

12. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

What conversion??????? We have a F250, I think it's a 2001, diesel, and we did not do ANY "conversion" to run biodiesel in it!!!!! All DH did was change the fuel filter after the first tank-full because the biodiesel cleans out the fuel lines and the filter gets dirty faster. The Issaquah Grange sells B100, $3.20/gal and it's a regular pump, just around the corner from their regular gas pumps.

Our neighbor has a Dodge diesel P/U, (either late 90's or early 00's) and he did not do any "conversion" either. Just filled up the tank with biodiesel!!!!

The only caution is that it will get in low temperatures, so for winter driving, mixing with regular diesel is important to do. It should be easy to find a diesel truck at any dealer!

Performance issues: Our truck runs fantastic on it! Way less diesel smell (smells more like french fries) and the engine is a bit quieter. No difference in power availability!

Here is a link to places in WA that sell biodiesel: WA biodiesel
    I hope this helps!

13. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Bob, if you make "biodiesel" (with the lye and alcohol that is) you shouldn't need to modify the engine on many vehicles. If you use straight vegetable oil, then you do. Might be easier to get set up to make biodiesel quickly and easily than to modify an engine?

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

does she plan to convert waste oil to biodiesel on the run?

thats a big job. making biodiesel isnt just dumping fry oil in your tank it has to be cleaned, mixed , you need several large drums and time.

why not.. take the cash yoll waste on making biodiesel and just buy diesel fuel?

21 months... youll waste 1/3 of that playing mr wizard along the road perking diesel out of mcfryoil.

and if it isnt spotlessly clean, youll gunk up the fuel system...

talk her out of it, buy gasoline and go see the country.

15. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.....From what has been provided and given the needed processing to make biodiesel and possible mechanical problems as well as availability I am going to recommend against this project......thanks again!

edited to add: I will show her the availability of biodiesel throughout the country and also that with this product no conversions are necessary.....SIL has some friends that toured the US for a couple of years running a bus on biodiesel....from the way she described the setup they must have been processing their own fuel since the claim was they filled up at various McDonalds while traveling.......if she can burn either diesel or biodiesel in a not-too-old-truck with little to no modifications she'll probably go for it......I will discourage her from trying to mimic her friends setup....