Bio-Shelter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hoofinitnorth, Dec 24, 2006.

1. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

The parent site to this link has been referenced here before:

http://www.biorealis.com/homeforsale

Thought I'd post about it being for sale (for over a year, maybe two??) and ask if anyone else here has actually done a self-contained water supply & treatment plant like this? Was it bank financible?? How on earth do you start? Must one have deep pockets to build and maintain it?

2. MMyers1

MMyers1 Well-Known Member

Texas, Residing in DFW area, working toward North
    Another option to look at regarding water supply and treatment is the systems that were designed by Mike Reynolds in his earthship designs and concepts (http://www.earthship.org)

That is the direction we are moving, if we can ever get life to stop long enough for us to work on our plans!! :) :rolleyes: :flame:

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

This place is in Alaska!?!?!?! I'd rather live in Dick Pronneke's log cabin.

4. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

gee, do you think the price tag might have something to do with why it's still for sale?

5. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

@ 475000 everyone should have a couple of these.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Over 20 years ago they built a biosphere up the road from me. They had some foundation running it, even had John Denver there for a big fundraiser. When the foundation couldn't afford it anymore they eventually gave up trying to sell it and donated it to the local community college. The college couldn't afford to operate most of it and it was more of a curse to them as a donation. I was near there the other day and should have driven up to see if it's still there.

7. hoofinitnorth

Ninn- absolutely. No way anyone's gonna pay $200+/sf (and I have doubts about their square footage figures vs. true living space) for that place. Most folks up here don't want to deal with anything that's not "standard" or requires any maintenance, even if it's bank financible with "regular" programs. Even the most inventive minds won't pay that price (they could probably build it new for less and would do so in a more rural area where land is cheaper and more usable).

Heck, I'm off-grid on a solar system and even in today's economy with new, wider acceptance of these systems I am wondering just how marketable my place would be.

8. hoofinitnorth

This is probably a stupid question... Who's Dick Pronneke and where can I see his cabin? :D

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter