Bio-diesel Web Site

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Nov 2, 2005.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting site, I bookmarked it for future reading, Thanks for the link...

2. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

Are any of you making biodiesel or burning straight vegetable oil? We have been considering this as we have a diesel van, Jetta and tractor. However, all of the fast food restaurants around here recycle their oil (actually have it cleaned/processed to reuse within the restaurant) so don't have any to spare. The one's that don't reuse it have someone come pick it up for recycling. Our neighbors own a restaurant on a lake and would share with us, but they are only open on weekends for 4-5 months of the year and don't use enough oil to make it worth our while, plus they are considering selling it so we could possibly lose that source. So where do you get your oil?

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You might try thinking Oilseeds like Safflowers they yeild 40% oil per pound then you have Rape seed and Sunflowers. You can also use Animal fats to A limited extent If my reading on this is right..Theres A man on Beesource .com that makes his own Bio-diesel. He even tells you how.

4. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Although I know nothing of the restaurant business, I'd assume that cleaning/processing for reuse costs money. Depending on the cost of new oil and the cost to process/clean, you may be able to make it more practical and/or more convenient for them to sell you their used oil.

As you mentioned, all of this also has to be "worth your while".

cheers,