Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this needs moved feelfree.
Am getting older and so are the eyes.
Am starting to look for a new set of binoculars - current pair no longer do the job and they are over 30+ years old.
I would like recommendations as to type/mfg/power/and features that you have from actual experience and not just advertisements.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are looking at but of my four I really like the Pentax 10x25 UCFX II. They are great for distance but the thing that sold me was that their min. distance is 5 ft. That means I can get within 5 feet of something and still use the binos to bring it in closer, [great for butterflys, bees and such].

Before getting these I swore by my Bushnell 10x20s, small and easy to focus.

·
Tweety
164 Posts
I' a birder, and find 8X42 to be the best compromise for carrying around all day and seeing a wide view in the woods. Mine are Bausch & Lomb, pricey but a little less than Leicas, but there are acceptable brands for less. Check the Eagle Optics website, they have good prices and a LOT of information to help you decide what's best for you.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Avoid Steiners. We were all issued a pair for work and mine looked at two different mountains. I found the hinge pin was plastic and broken, right from the box. Another guy had the exact same problem. High priced junk.

I have some Seeadlers that have been good for the past 4 years. They get daily use and are showing their age, but have been a fine investment. They are 10X42s. I prefer 10X, but many people like 8 or less. In the past I have been thru Pentax, Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, etc, and none held up long. I am thinking about Leupolds for the next pair.

If money was no object, Zeiss are incredible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts