Billy the dud

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are billies very prone to being sterile? I have 9 does with a young billy (Buster). He is a pure bred boer about 7 months old. He does not smell much, no signs of agression. I have never seen him go after the does. He does not show any sign of interest. The does do not seem to be coming into heat yet either though. I can not tell if the goats are pregnant already. Is Buster to young to breed? Maybe he just does not want the responsibilities of having kids at such a young age.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

This time of year you are not going to see real noticable signs of heat in your does. No your BUCK is not to young to breed, however he may be too small to reach real good. Do you give BoSe to your animals?? (selenium/Vit E)

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Sometimes boers tend to be a tinsy bit slow on the uptake..plus right now the whole breeding season is REALLY winding down. Like I said he might be a little bit umm..slow on what he is supposed to do. Boer are smart and everything but the males can at times be a little bit on the dumb side lol....females can be to but I have noticed that boer males tend to take a little bit longer in my opinion to get mature enough to get the deed done. Just my 2 cents...

MotherClucker

4. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

I just have to wonder if boers aren't as obvious about doing 'the deed' :) as dairy bucks. I borrowed a boer buck this year as I wasn't planning on keeping any babies to expand my herd and had him for a month. Other than the initial 'get to know you' I didn't see him touch any of them. I had him running with five big does, and as far as I know 4 got preg. The fifth, I'm not sure about. He was about 2 or 3 years old though. Last year I had a 6 month old nubian and I had babies on the ground from him before he turned a year old. Guess he found a step-ladder somewhere. :haha:

Kathy

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Maybe he's gay. :haha: I never saw my buck with my girls, but they always got preggers. My a red light in the barn, some soft music and champagne. :haha:

6. Mrs. Ed

Mrs. Ed Active Member

I must say, that I've enjoyed reading this thread so far! :haha: Y'all are funny!

Our youngest billy (boer) is just now starting to get really aggressive with the whole breeding thing. He is just under 2 years old. It seems I have read that they are sexually mature at 6 mos old, females at about 1 yr old. He has been showing small signs of interest off & on for a long while now, but the last month or so he has actually been fighting the older billy we have over the "women". It is getting pretty ugly out there. Needless to say, we are ready to send older billy packing so our younger guy can have some lovin'. We only got the older guy becuase our younger billy, who we've been aiming to keep all along, wasn't ready to take the breeding helm yet.

I've never seen the Big Billy (as we call him) in action. My husband claims to. I have seen him following the girls, doing the lip sneer thing and making some weird noises. As many pregnant does/babies as we keep getting, he has to be in action because there sure seems to be a lot of hanky panky going on!

7. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Oh my I didn't know that abt the boer bucks being slow on the uptake :haha:
    Last year my 4mo old mini mancha got out and I said oh well he wouldn't be able to reach the big girls anyway so am not to worry. Big dope that I am. He produced the only triplets I got last year.