Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone in the goat forum. This is my first post here, but have been reading for a while. Thanks for all the good info, especially on worming. The local farmers co-op suggested safeguard, so I bought it, but it just didnt seem to fix those "bony hips" Ivermectin orally done the trick (just happened to have some, I have a few cows).

I dont know much about goats. I have ended up with 3 does and a billy that were born this spring. They are working on a huge dozer pile at the back of our property, They are working better than expected :) My question is will this Billy come into rut this fall? Will he need to be seperated from the girls?

Thanks again to the people that support this forum!

Kenny

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I would separate him asap. They can breed out of season as young as a couple months old.

Congrats on getting your first goats!! What kind and where are the pictures? LOL

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Yes, he can and will start breeding this fall or anytime now. Doelings can come in heat as early as 2 months of age. So you could already have pregnant doelings. I would separate him asap! You'll need to get a companion for him that he can't breed. A wether is a good choice.

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, that was what I was afraid of. I guess I will sell the Billy, and just let the girls work on the dozer pile. I will get him seperated this evening.

I will try to get some pictures, I was told they are boar cross, but im not sure, maybe you can tell me if they are if I am successful with the pictures. Strange story how I ended up with these goats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the Billy in the upper lot last night, bet you cant guess where he was this morning :shrug: Guess I will have to put him in a stall.

Here are a few pics. I havent advertised the billy for sale yet. I wanted to see what you thought first. I would figure he is worth $50-75?

thanks
Kenny

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Pretty kids! He looks well capable of breeding right now. I'd say you have it about right, $50-$75. He is a decent-looking meat boy. Very healthy looking. :)

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
They look Boer x Nubian to me, particularly that buck... and I don't know, but that black belted doe looks more than half nubian to me. She looks dairy-lean, and I haven't seen many "colorful" goats with alot of Boer in them.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Don't you want your does to kid in the spring? They are almost big enough to breed, and IMHO, it wouldn't hurt anything for them to get bred right now, though it will probably be a month or two.

If in doubt, pick them up (one at a time) and step on a scale and weigh yourselves, and then just you, and subtract your weight to see how much the doe weighs. She should be at least 70-80# before breeding, although in truth, I have had yearling milkers (sold to me) that weighed only 60# and grew out OK. Not ideal, but that was the way they were when I got them. One of my best and biggest bodied does was bred at 5 months old.

And the thing is, if you get rid of your buck, they will not kid at all until a year and a half from now, and only then if you buy another buck. I would keep him, he looks really good quality to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts