bill nye the science guy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

My 12 year old son could do a little better in science and I thought it would be cool to get the "Bill Nye the Science Guy" vids. I always liked them. I figure that maybe if he watched them, science would be a little easier.

So I google. Disney want $2000 for them!!!! That's not gonna happen. So I look on e-bay: 1 at a time goes for $10 to $20 each, but you will probably never get the complete set.

Any suggestions?

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Amazon.com! Likely, the cheaper videos there will have some flaws (banged up or missing cover, or maybe even a blip or two on the video). But, unless your plan is to resell them, those kinds of flaws shouldn't be a problem. :)

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek: Holy moly! They're no cheaper at Amazon!

:eek:

Sooooo, I say keep your eye on eBay. Last semester, I needed a copy of Milagro Beanfield War to show to one of my classes. I went to amazon and it was going for $99. :eek:

I started watching eBay for it, though, and finally sniped one for $4 + shipping. :D Took about a week, but it worked. The trick is to check eBay every day.

4. Paul Wheaton

There's the rub. E-bay wasn't cheap either. And you have to buy them one at a time for $10 to $20. Why can't they put five episode on one tape?

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

But see, that's why you have to keep an eye on eBay and check it every day.

I was absolutely desolate when I first saw the prices of the movie I needed --- on both Amazon and eBay, the price was through the roof. :eek: And I had to have that movie because it was the only thing i knew of which tied together PERFECTLY a small mountain of reading materials in this particular class.

So I just kept watching ebay and, lo and behold, there it was, highest bid was like 3.25 ... and I grabbed it. :)

Certain things, for some reason, become collectors items or *rare* pr whatever --- Milagro Beanfield War (much to my surprise) is an example. And it appears Bill Nye is, as well. But don't let that deter you! Just be patient and keep an eye out.

6. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

have you checked with your local Library?

7. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

you can do the "favorite search" thing on ebay (have them email you when your search desription has a new listing), that way you don't have to keep checking back.

8. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Bill Nye is over rated. Buy a cheap easy experiment book and do some inq

9. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Bill Nye is over rated. Buy a cheap easy experiment book and do some inquiry yourself - science is a state of mind - not a list of facts. Also try your local extension agent they have activites and videos. And the state parks and game wardens are a great sources. Also Brainpop is good do a net search.

10. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Paul,
    One route you might want to go is to go to Yahoo and see if there is a group for "Bill Nye, Science Guy." Oftentimes these "members only" groups (doesn't cost to join, just have to register) can be a good way to "trade tapes (as in how 'bout me sending you some blank tapes and trading them for some copies of your episodes on tape)." I've gotten tapes to some old TV shows and also sports events this way.

Another suggestion (something I do with my nephews) is fiind out what they're interested in and then try to help show them the science behind that. Might be baseball (There is a great book called "The Physics of Baseball"), taking apart a small engine, meteorology, looking at the stars, model planes or rockets, building, welding, whatever he's interested in. If you don't know all the ins and outs yourself, it's something you can learn together.

Growing up, I remember that my brothers and I felt just like we were in school (at least we were getting an education) when we worked with my Dad on the farm. He always took the time to explain to us how an implement worked; how to calibrate a sprayer; the basics of balancing a ration; running the arc welder. In spite of how busy he was, he was patient with us and took the time to help us understand.

11. RAC

RAC Guest

If you want science, and don't mind if it is food-oriented, watch Good Eats on the Food Network.

12. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Why is it important to have all the tapes unless you are a collector? As long as you have enough to keep your son interested and learning......

As far as buying one at a time, if you can buy them on Ebay at the low end of the price spectrum and sell them at the high end it shouldn't cost you much if anything. You might even turn a profit.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

13. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with tooltime. Sure, go ahead and get a couple of Nye's tapes, but real science learning is hands on. What is your son interested in? Aquarium fish and critters? There's all sorts of science behind keeping the fish alive. Dogs? Operant conditioning (positive reinforcement, clicker training). Ocean creatures? Jacques Cousteau. How about a microscope so he can see what he's really eating? Binoculars to view birds? A trip to the shore to collect stones and shells?

14. Paul Wheaton

The library! Of course! It turns out that my library has a few of the Bill Nye tapes. And once we've run through those, we can do the inter library loan!