Bill has his Christmas lights on

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by remmettn, Dec 16, 2006.

1. remmettn

remmettn Well-Known Member

Lost power here outside of Seattle, fun for me sucks for others.
    Me and mine just light the wood stove, wind up the radio and add more blankets to the bed.

Learning:
    Night # 2 two stores in Redmond opened, I wanted just to see what city people buy when in need. C and D batteries out, camping stoves of all types ; winter hats; food you don’t cook to eat.

Radio is can get boring, reading is hard in low light; bed time is at sundown but late at night when we could not sleep some old time radio tapes were lots more fun.

Joke of the neighborhood “Bill Gates has his Christmas lights on,
    all will be ok”.
    :hobbyhors

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting, isn't it?

I remember when I was 13 we had a huge ice storm in north Alabama. The den/kitchen of our house was separated from the living/dining room by an open staircase. Daddy would set a Coleman lantern on the stairs and the rooms would be well lit. Mama always cooked on the wood cookstove, so we had the normal amount of heat and food to eat. Since we didn't have TV it didn't seem any different to us.

LOL...we had neighbors calling to ask when our power was turned on and to ask if they could come cook some food on Mama's stove.

Also, a store is the LAST place I want to be just before a major winter storm. If I don't have it before the storm hits, I'll do without.

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Isn't it amazing how just flipping a switch can change the world if that there switch will not work. LOL
    We had a great time w/o power it was like campin inside.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

This year during the power outages DGD, age 5, took it in stride and we had lots of fun. Last year all she wanted to do during the outages was to watch her movies by candlelight! This year she understands electricity a bit better!