Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for years my oldest ds thought prepping was nuts. I always worried because he is in Little Rock in a very bad part of town and sure wouldn't want him there if there was any type of emergency.
He came home for Christmas and gladly took everything I offered in the way of prepping. Car prepping apartment prepping, he is willing to get prepared.

Don't know what happened but I like it. Perhaps he realized that he would be there to stay pretty much because his wife works at the children's hospital and she would most likely not be allowed to leave ( or she would not want to).

So, now, how does one truly prep for a two room apartment, about 700 sq feet in all. ?

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,613 Posts
Well, get a waterbed and a purifier for the water you can bleed out to drink/cook. Make sure to have under that bed storage drawers for food and other nessecary supplies. Small hydroponic system or sprouts for fresh veggies and a deployable solar pannel(he does have windows yes?) and battery banks/inverter for lighting and communication. Most of us have un-utilized high space, could he have fake bulkheads installed for concealed storage; perhaps as a personal "hidey" until the zombies leave?? Hmm, window blackout pannels for night so light leaks don't give them away.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
i'd start with what scenarios you're planning for, and what goals you have (short, medium, and long term). I'd add in any constraints (eg, what space do they have.)

my first goals were 2 weeks of food and means to cook and survive without power. for me, that mostly boiled down to camping supplies (tent, sleeping bag, backpacking stove, etc), plus a shelving system from home depot for storing food, and bags of beans and rice. You probably need some self protection (gun, mace, stun gun) if he's in a bad section of town.

Once you know the goals, there's all sorts of creative ways to hide food -- under the couch, under the bed, in a closet, buy shelving, etc.

--sgl

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
I'd say that was a victory for both sides, a win/win situation.:rock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts