Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That sounds like fun Moon! You probably told us where you're going already, but if you did, I don't remember. So where??
The Outer Banks of NC. I'm just waiting for an improvement in the weather. Too much rain both here and there right now.

I plan on splitting time between Ocracoke and Oregon Inlet. There is a national park campground at both places plus another at Frisco. Depending on wind and mosquitoes, I might end up at Frisco too.

I will be fishing on the ocean side and crabbing, clamming, kayaking on the sound side, biking on the bike trail, and hopefully eating fresh seafood every night. Plus, I just bought 10 paperbacks in case of rain.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Left early Thursday morning and got to the Ocracoke ferry about 2 pm. At least 150 cars ahead of me, so I doubled back and spent the night at Frisco NPS campground. Got up early and headed for ferry.

Nice ferry ride (about 40 minutes) and found a good site at Ocracoke campground. Got a little beach time in on Friday. Saturday rained off and on all day. I took a nap, took a trip into town for ice, and grilled a steak (and drank some beer).

I feel more relaxed than I have been in years. Even with all the rain, I am having a great time. People keep driving by my site looking at my trailer and tent. The guy at the ferry and the ranger at campground both commented on my trailer. And one guy came by to take a look at my tent.

Plus there is a great local radio station that is playing music from the 60's and 70's. These are deep cuts, not the stuff you typically hear on oldies radio.

When it was pouring and everyone else was either huddled in their tent or in their trailer, I was reclining in my lounge chair in the tent enjoying the rain and a beer. I talked to a guy who told where I could launch my kayak, so tomorrow I launch my inflatable kayak. Too bad no one is going to be around to make a video because it should be entertaining.

Still need to find good places to clam and crab.

Here's a link to the radio station if anyone wants to take a listen.
http://wovv.org/

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Please let us know of what you catch while fishing and if after being out there in the salt air you feel better, less allergies etc. Have a good time!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I did not realize that you were going to be so close. I am at the southern end of Emerald Isle in the Southern Outer Banks. I hope you are enjoying all of the rain that we are getting during your vacation. It sucks for you but my garden needs the water as well as my rain water totes.

I just looked at the 10-day forecast and it does not look real good for either of us. I was planning on shrimping and fishing for a few days starting Wednesday, but the forecast includes rain almost every day for the next 10 days. Sorry!

TRellis

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Plus there is a great local radio station that is playing music from the 60's and 70's. These are deep cuts, not the stuff you typically hear on oldies radio. http://wovv.org/
I think this is the station on the left heading towards the ferry (on the south side of the island). If you walk by, they usually have the door open and will sell you a tee shirt or ball cap to support the station. Nice folks.

Have fun kayaking.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this is the station on the left heading towards the ferry (on the south side of the island). If you walk by, they usually have the door open and will sell you a tee shirt or ball cap to support the station. Nice folks.

Have fun kayaking.
That's the one.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last evening and night was really heavy rain and gusting wind. It's still pitch black outside, so I can't see how flooded the campground is or if my tent is still standing. I tied it to the picnic table in case everything else pulled lose.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Is there an option to add a screened porch/awning/room to your actual trailer? A lady that hosts (or did host) a campground at Lassen NP had a huge screened porch attached to her Toyota RV. It acted like an extension of her living space. She even added some indoor/outdoor carpet and furniture for guests, but of course, she was there all Summer.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there an option to add a screened porch/awning/room to your actual trailer? A lady that hosts (or did host) a campground at Lassen NP had a huge screened porch attached to her Toyota RV. It acted like an extension of her living space. She even added some indoor/outdoor carpet and furniture for guests, but of course, she was there all Summer.
I have an awning but didn't put it up because of the wind. I do have this which I use as a living room.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
It sounds great, even the rain, but then I like rain, lol. :) I kind of lost track, but how did you finally get your bed situation ironed out?

I'm not surprised that your little trailer is getting lots of attention. My "tiny trailers" Pinterest board is one of the most popular, right behind "tiny houses".

Hope the rest of your trip goes well and that you didn't get any damage!

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got up early, made breakfast, road my bike around camp (twice), and walked 2 miles on the beach. Got back to trailer and it was only 8 am.

Went crabbing this afternoon, but only caught small ones. Had to throw them back. So steak tonight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts