big stomach on my buckling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mare, Oct 28, 2006.

1. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

i have a eight month old buckling that has a big tummy---i have had the vet look at him and she said he sounded and looked fine. he does seem healthy. i've wormed him and treated for coccidious and when the vet was her i sent a fecal with and he does have strogydes (???spelling???). but i just feel uncomfortable about how wide he is, i will enclose a pic--if any one has an idea on why he is like that i would appreciate it. well i guess i cant figure out how to send a pic in this forum, any help with that? thanks Marilyn

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Marilyn, this really doesn't help you much but I'll toss this info at ya. I also have a young Boer buck (9months old) with quite a beer belly. My two bucks live together and they look like the odd couple. The Boer's big basketball gut has been annoying me for quite some time but now he seems to be growing into his bulge. I would'nt worry to much, I wish I had more to tell ya, maybe this condition is more common then we know of. My other buck is a Nubian (12 months old) tall, muscular and no gut....Tennessee John

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Years ago I bought 3 does. Two of my does where long and slender and the other had a big fat belly which I did not care for. :nono: She always looks 5 months pregnant. I prefered the long slender deer like bodies. Later after began to learn more about what to look for in a dairy goat and had many nice comments from folks in the dairy goat world on how nice my fat bellied goat looked, I decided fat bellies must be looked at differently on goats than on folks. :) You may just a very nice buck that will pass this trait on to his daughters. :)

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

what kind of goat are we talking about? Dairy, meat or mini?

Pygmies are suppose to have a belly while dairy breeds ARE NOT. Young kids tend to have more of a belly till they lengthen out. Worms will also cause a bigger belly.

5. mare

he is 7/8 boer and 1/8 nubian (i believe). he is in with my other buck that is 3/4 boer (he is a year and a half). yeah he does look pj-- around 10 months along. i've seen his sire but not his mom, didnt see that in him. i cant imagine he gets too much grain in with my other buck lol. well i will have to worm him again and see what happens. i did give him mineral oil to maybe get him going more. it really isnt attractive though. thanks for the help--i really like reading this site. i get alot of questions answered without having to ask. Marilyn

6. mare

i mean the belly isnt attractive. Marilyn

7. PygmyLover

oh and for the picture thing. I use www.photobucket.com to host my pictures and then I paste the url (provided through photobucket) in the message. Then we can click on the link to see the picture. It is great for sharing with friends and family too. Plus you don't have to resize your pictures :)

8. mare

thanks i'm gonna try that M......

9. PygmyLover

they ask for a lot of information but be sure to uncheck the boxes stating you want them to send information to you. That way you don't get junk mail.

10. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

Too bad I ain't a goat... :dance:

11. mare

[​IMG][/IMG] hope you get this--i really dont know what i'm doing. Marilyn

12. PygmyLover

yup that is it!

Yah he is bloated or wormy. The left side is his rumen so that is normal to see it bigger but yes even for a pygmy that doesn't look good.

Have you treated him for bloat?

13. mare

no i havent--how do i do that? Marilyn

14. PygmyLover

For bloat you can give him baking soda. The easiest way to do this is take some baking soda and add a little water till you can form it to a "ball" stuff this in his mouth. The sticky consistancy will make it stay in his mouth and he will have to swallow it and not spit it out.

The baking soda will help him burp and relieve the gasses that could be building up in his rumen.

It is worth a try anyway and will not hurt him if it isn't bloat.

15. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Strongids = parasites.

16. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

The fecal showed that he has worms. What did you worm him with the first time, and did you do a follow-up worming 10 days later? You may need to use a different wormer, and make sure you do it twice, to catch late hatching worm eggs. Which reminds me, time to re-worm here, too!

17. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Of what I can tell looks like wormy not bloat. I had a pgymy a while back looked a little like that and I wormed her with Valbazen and now she looks like suppose to be. Just be careful to not give to much meds or you could run into other problems

Good Luck with your goat.

18. mare

i just got done worming with valbzen today--will do the follow up (i didnt do that when i wormed him a few weeks ago). thanks for the advice--much appreciated> Marilyn

19. PygmyLover

I have not used Valbzen before.........does it take care of strongyles? It is important that the wormer say that it kills that specific worm you are trying to get rid off.

Is this a horse wormer paste or something else?

20. mare

good question--it says it kills stomach worms and intestinal worms isnt that what stongydes are??? or am i mistaken???? valbazen is a broad spectrum dewormer. it is labeled for use in cattle and sheep, i was told to use double strength of the cattle dosage, by my vet after the last fecal i had done showed strongydes. Marilyn