big problem with another breeder!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by crystalniche, Jun 12, 2005.

1. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

Awhile ago my husband and I were rabbit breeders, belonged to the ARBA and went to shows etc. One spring another breeder bought many of my meat rabbits. She had been after me to sell them thru her as she had a big market for them in NY and had to fill it. She told me what she paid and we agreed to meet somewhere. She never came thru on the price and paid me $3.00 per rabbit, most were either 4 pounds or bigger. All were purebreds and some had my tattoos in their ears. I vowed to never sell her another rabbit again as she had gone down on what she agreed to pay me for them. Then a few weeks later I went to a show in NY and walked over to the show table. There were my culls in the show boxes! My tattoos and the rabbits knew me. I looked over at her and she looked away. I looked inside one rabbits ear and saw the tattoo and knew just what buck he was---Sparkle. A woman came up to me and asked me if I liked that rabbit. "Yes." Then she replied "He's my new herd buck. I just bought him from ------ and he was very expensive." Really? Then I noticed that she had several others in cages for sale on the floor with high prices on them. What the? How is she pedigreeing them? I asked the woman about the pedigree and she told me it was very impressive. I'll bet it was, good imagination she's got there! I was steaming at this point. The whole reason I'd culled this lot was that I'd tried outcrossing with another breeder's buck and in the 2nd generation got lots of malocculsion problems. Very bad when you sell as pets as the poor rabbits can starve if the owners do not catch it and trim the teeth. That woman I'd sold them to knew why I'd culled them!!!!! How many pet owners know this? Anyway, I waited until she went outside and followed her and blasted her about it. I was furious, not about her reselling them but about her being devious. She then demanded the pedigrees. I said "NO!" "I'm not pedigreeing all these rabbits you bought for meat. That is ridiculous." After the arguement she threatened me with "You will never be allowed to show again. I will see to it that you will be out of the rabbit hobby and never be welcomed into any club or show ever!!!!" Well, I didn't believe her. After all I wasn't the one who had done the dishonest thing, was I? HAH! She called me several times and asked me if I would send her the pedigrees and each time threatened me with banishment. I stood firm. Unknown to me she had already done her dirty work. She had started rumors around about us that were so bad that everyone was angry at us! No one would even talk to us! The things she accused us of and had people believing are nightmares. If only some of them came to my house and saw what we really were doing they would have seen thru her lies but few did and those who did are afraid of her tongue, anger. When we went to pay our dues to the ARBA we were told that we weren't welcome there! Even they believed her lies. Well, this all started in '88 and is getting worse rather than better. This past fall at a county fair her son (ARBA JUDGE) gave 2 of my rabbits best and best opposite giving them trophys. When everyone laughed he asked whose rabbits they were. When they told him he RAN out of the building. Now things have escalated again. We were at an auction and some of her friends were there. They blocked me from bidding and followed me around making sure I didn't buy any animals. They also contacted the fairs we were doing and told them even more rumors. This stuff just ain't true! The people who know the truth have tried to help us but she was way too effective in starting her rumors and has too many people who believe her, especially the ones who don't even know us. We had all but given up and were going along doing our own thing when she started again trying to ruin us. What can we do? I've tried contacting the ARBA with no success. Seems only a member can file a grievance against another member or a judge. Should I just give up and quit going to the fairs as they are now targeting us there too? I am friends with some other breeders but they are all afraid of her.

2. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Please PM me the name of the person. I have a judge friend who lives in the same town as ARBA headquarters, I'll talk to her.

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Wishing you best of luck! How awful! I cannot believe that someone would do that... I just can't believe it. What was she thinking?

RooMaN, power to ya!

4. crystalniche

She is covering her own butt for selling my meat rabbits with her pedigree on them. It has become a vendetta with her and her son trying to get rid of us, even at the fairs. If the people who bought those rabbits had looked they would have seen MRR tattooed in the ears along with a number which is what we were using. Ask someone in New England about us and see the stories you will get! These are from her and her friends, followers who either believe her or prefer to start rumors. I can give the names of the primary people involved in this to the ARBA but they wouldn't listen in the beginning and as we aren't members surely won't listen now. These people should just leave us alone in peace but they won't. She says she won't be happy until we aren't even at the fairs anymore.

5. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

What a jealous woman she is. Her time will come and her and her kingdom will fall. :no:

We've learned that you never give anyone a break. Not for one minute. I wouldn't have given them over until the agreed upon price was paid but that's hindsight...I'm sure you feel the same way.

What a crook/slanderer also. This is just ridiculous. They know you are breeding your rabbits well and she took advantage of you.

The very day you saw this, you should have went to the ARBA immediately and took up with it. You have the pedigrees and tatoo numbers. You can prove they belonged to you. Did you keep record of the paid price? That would be important also to show as no one sells a good breeder/show rabbit for $3!!!

My best goes to you.

6. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

I would try civil court.

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

yeah, you could try civil court. Also keep in mind that if you have proof of her paying you, then you have it documented. So that would help open up doors with Arba too.

8. crystalniche

No, she handed me cash. When I questioned the amount she had a ready excuse that she saw some she thought might be under 3 pounds. Rather than argue with her I accepted the money but wasn't happy about it. She never even brought a scale. I'd weighed them at home and none were light. She was supposed to be a meat buyer and wanted me to sell to her, offered me a high price, I never thought she would do this. I'm not angry that she resold them only that she made up pedigrees and sold them as breeders. They had a serious hereditary defect and shouldn't have been bred from. She knew this. I can only imagine what this did to the Harlequin breed in this area. After all these years she and her son have started up on us again. We've been steering clear of them but they are still at us even so. One man tried to get me to walk past her and I refused. Don't want to cause any trouble. He thought it quite funny that I'm afraid to even walk past her. I'm not afraid of her, only of her lies. I'm at a loss on what to do. This started in '88 and should be long forgotten but they won't let it die down. Court may not work as they live so far away and it began so long ago. We did threaten some of the worst rumor passers with a law suit and they stopped but we can't stop everyone! We have tried tho. One couple even started to sell to us again after a go 'round with us. We told them to go to our house and look, our animals are still there. When people begin to understand they then become afraid of her tongue. I've had rabbits since I was 8 years old and refuse to give them up for the likes of her!

9. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Honey, I feel your pain. Send RooMan your info and see if an insider can gain admittance but be sure you have all of your documentation. I don't have any other advice for you but I wanted you to know you have support out here. {{{HUGS}}}

10. crystalniche

Thank you. This has been going on way too long and to have it restarted is another nightmare. I appreciate your support. Please be careful when dealing with some people. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

11. hayzor

hayzor Well-Known Member

Classic story of evil triumphing over good because the good people didn't fight for what is right.
    I don't mean to blast you, but want to make a point.
    When something wrong or dishonest happens, good people have a tendency to let it pass, because we think that good will always triumph (which it will - in the long run. However, it may not be in this life.)
    I feel that good must be defended immediately and effectively - with all the energy you have at your disposal. I'm not talking violence or anything like that. The time for this issue to be addressed was when you saw your buck, and other rabbits, being sold w/ fake papers. You had the evidence and proof for the truth to prevail at the time, but now your ability correct the situation is alot less.
    Sorry if I sound harsh, I don't mean to be. I've been in plenty of situations where I've said/ done nothing when something wrong is happening, and I could have done something about it.

"The only way evil can prevail is for good peoiple to do nothing" - that's not my quote, but I forget who said it.
    I hope it works out well for you. I'll get off the box. :soap:

12. crystalniche

I understand that now. Back then she had me intimidated and I was afraid of her. Now, no. She is a teacher and has a way about her that makes you not want to cross her. If it were today I would handle it very differently. Now I just want to make them leave me alone!