Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got three rather large pigs. Originally they were intended for slaughter, however, they’ve become pets. Can anyone recommend a pool-type of contraption that I can buy/build for them to laze around in without them destroying it? I know they like mud, but they also seem to enjoy getting sprayed off....I’m NEW at this piggy thing so any advice is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Depending on your soil, you don't need a pool. Just dig out a shallow hole with a tractor loaders. If you have clay in your soil they should keep it compacted enough to hold water between the rains.
We have what is called Lily Loam soil and it drains pretty well. We have trenched out areas and dropped $20 plastic kiddie pools in with good results. We usually get a couple of year out of them.
Or, you can get one of those $5 misters from Walmart that look like a coiled snake about to strike and just let it run. They don't use much water and keep the soil nice and tacky for wallowing.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,950 Posts
I'm with GTX.. typically they'll wallow a nice hole out with some water and time. Now, I understand you not wanting a huge mess...but they are pigs...and that's kinda what they do! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts