Big Mistake!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, tell me your experiece with a goat that was bred at 2 months!!

I very carefully kept my buck far, far away from my doe & her kids, until one day in June when he got loose & took advantage of the little doe kid. She would've been about 2.5 months old. I actually saw the event happen & tried to stop it, but it took seconds. So now my MIL insists shes pregnant. I did call the vet the same day, & he said it is virtually unheard of in 2 month old kids, maybe 4 or 5. Right now she is 5 months old. But it happened when she was 2.5 months old.

She does have a little pooch to her udder, sort of like when my doe was about 2-2.5 months preg. Her & momma are built the same & both have grass bellies. I know mom isn't pregnant.

Soo now what, wait & see? I can sneak her in to the local hospital (human variety) for an ultra sound, but how accurate would it be? And would she need her side/belly shaved? I know it sounds silly :confused: The little doeling is as tall as her mom, but not as filled out. She is a pygmy/cashmere cross, so she should be a little leggier than momma. Of course she bred her daddy, the only buck we have. I had her brother wethered so no unwanted pregnancies would happen! :stars:

Don't slam me, I already know this is a no-no & I really, really wished I would've shipped Spike when I planned to in May!!

Anyone want a handsome Cashmere buck, 15 months old? Proven breeder :bash:

Thanks, Tricia

2. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

Tricia,

Unfortunatly this happens! Bucks are sneaky, fence jumpin, gate crashin, breeding through the fence, boys!! as much as we try, sometimes they outsmart us!! I had a neices pygmy doe get bred by a nubian buck that jumped the fence. I had to have the vet give her a shot to make her abort it. but I think you have to give it right away.

If your little doe is already 2 months along and already as tall as her mother, than I would keep her on a good amount of nutrition so she will continue to grow through out her pregnency. then I would make sure to be there when she gives birth. sence you saw the breeding you wrote the date on the calender, right? so you should know pretty acuratly when she's due. You may have to assist, or have the vet help her if she has problems.

Don't beat your self up over it, just go on and do the best you can and learn from it!!
    good luck!!

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Lutelyse works by opening the cervic and emptying the contents of the uterus, no matter what stage of pregnancy she is in. You do have to wait to give the shot until the fetus's have implanted into the uterus and a CL Corpus Letum sp) has formed (7 to 11 days), but than give the shot and it will flush the uterus. Baby goats are tiny, by 100 days pregnant they start growing, quickly, why nutrition is so important that last 50 days of pregnancy, not only for the kids health but the udder and also for the doe who is a baby herself.

I would abort her, I would much rather her abort one or two dead kids that are tiny at this point, than have a train wreck of a delivery at 7 months old. If she only is pregnant with one kid this kid can grow too large to be delivered. Than you have an expensive C section, and once again without a small ruminant vet, you will have a vet knocking out your doe, the kids will be born with depressed lungs, and your doe will likely not do well after the surgery. Local blocks aren't something all vets are willing to do, so if you are going to go through with this pregnancy make sure you find a vet who will do a standing C section for you. Vicki

4. babygoats!

babygoats! Well-Known Member

I had a 3 month old LaMancha doeling (Pixie) get "caught" when she was stuck in a fence. I didn't realize it until she had a baby at 8 months old. I remembered her getting stuck in the fence...didn't realize "Bill" had gotten to her, though. Her little boy was always small (bottle baby - she ran after dropping him) and had horn problems. I presume that meant he had a calcium deficiency. I bottle fed him for almost a year to try to get him up to par, but it never happened. He was always kinda sickly-like. I know Pixie has had problems with her horns breaking off, but that seems to be getting better as she gets older. All the babies she's had since then have been fine. It might be a good idea to abort any babies. Your doe will be alot healthier in the long run.
    As a funny aside, his name was Spike.... :cool:
    Good luck!
    Kari

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I'm so sorry that this happend to you, I have the same problem. If you want to know a little bit more about what you can do go to search and type in your information, about your goat just general stuff and you should come up with some really helpful information. Hope that everything turns out just fin, I'll be praying for you, Bye.

6. Loisp

Loisp Active Member

Let us know what you decide to do about it.

Last fall we had 2 pygmy/boer cross twin does that we wanted to sell to a guy my hubby works with for $25 each. We were waiting for him to put up his fence. Well anyway, last fall our buck jumped the fence and got in the fence with the twins. They both got pregnant. The first one to deliver had a very hard time. I was there with her. The baby got stuck. I tried with all my might to help the baby come out. We ended up having to call the Vet. She came out, checked the baby and it was dead. But it was still hanging out so she had to yang it out with a chain. Yes, it was gross, I didn't watch but heard what was going on. She told us that the doe was too small and should not have been bred. Duh, that's not what we wanted either. She didn't know if the doe would survive. Smacked us with a $170 bill and left. That doe survived. Now, the other twin had a small baby girl by the same buck and she had it with no problems. But I should add that the baby that died was a very big baby boy.

7. jdoss

jdoss Member

I have a few pygmy goats, but mainly raise sheep. We had a pygmy nanny that delivered a perfect little nanny kid 2 days shy of being 7 months old. This means she was bred by her father since he was the only billy in with them. She got that way before we bought her. No matter what people think, I think sometimes animals can be bred and it take without being in heat. Both are doing great and growing like weeds. I know things can go wrong, but they can go right also.

8. Goat Freak

My little girl is about six months old now and has been running with her father, uncle, and brother up until she was 3 months old. Her udder is twice as big as it was a while ago, I think she is pregnant, She is already just a little bit smaller than her mother, because her father was quite a bit bigger than her mother. Do ya think she has a chance, we can't abort because my mom is afraid it would kill her. The only problem is that her mother had triplets, and is pregnant with triplets now as well, does that mean that she will have triplets. I'm going to post htis as well to get as much help as possible.

9. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

What breed is she? She probably won't have triplets her first time. Is she a pygmy?

10. Goat Freak

I don't know but her mama had triplets the first time, and she is gonna have them again, I can tell by looking at her. She is a mutt goat so I don't really know, she does look to have a little pygmy but also maybe a little Nubian, and her dad is a medium sized goat and she is already as tall as her mama, but not as filled out. Oh yeah her mama was two years old when she had her.

11. Goat Freak

Hey keep posted please, tell us what happens.