BIG house to be moved for sale

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by idontno, Oct 8, 2005.

1. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

I live in a Big old house.It was built in 1927 with yellow pine.It has 12 rooms.4 bedrooms upstairs and full bath,Main floor has big kitchen,big bath and laundry room combo.,office ,lg.dinning room,lg.living room,sun room and full inclosed front porch.Really nice woodwork inside.All of it was built with yellow pine and it didn't have one board in it that had a knot.My dad help build it and he said for ever 3 wagon loads he hauled out, my grandpa sent back 1 load because boards had knots.A guy that comes up hunting wants to buy it and move it 7-8 miles to his new land and make a hunting lodge out of it.He has plenty of money,,I have always wanted to sale it and get us a single floor home that easy to get around in.I will be setting it on the exesting basement.Which was built in 1972.What would be a fair price to ask? I thought maybe him buy me a Prefab house and trade..Am I dreaming? I know this house is not worth much but to replace it you would have $100,000.00 in it.It really in good shape and strong as a rock.Thanks ....idontno.

2. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We bought a home and moved it. It isn't as large as yours, but before we looked at this one we tried to get another that was.

Here in South Dakota going price for a home to move is basically the cost of moving the home. We paid $26,000 for the home and the land to put it on. The bigger house was $2000 plus the cost to move it.

I know of two houses in downtown Rapid City that went for the cost of moving and 2 torn down for lack of takers. The cost of moving was going to be over $30,000 and no one wanted to pay that.

I would call a moving company in your area and ask for the going rate for homes to be moved in your area. That will give you a realistic picture of the value of your home if were to be moved. I don't know if what we see here is typical or not.

Cheryl

3. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

True...moving a home is very expensive.....especially if it is a HUGE home. For this reason...most homes that must be moved are either 'give-aways' or sold for a token sum.

4. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Let him make an offer and you will see the value.

5. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

Most people buy houses to move because they can get them cheap. You probably cannot build a replacement for what you get out of it. Try to figure out why he is wanting yours instead of building something new. The one exception to the rule is something extremely rare or of hard to get materials like you described. The best way is to ask him what he is willing to pay and evaluate it from there. Good luck

6. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

My family all lives out there!

My uncle keeps trying to buy someplace out there to make into a hunting lodge. Your hunter isn't from PA is he??

My folks moved a house from Grainfield to Collyer in the mid 70's. Most likely was about the size of yours. It cost them $10,000 back then, just for the move. They bought the house for $500.

7. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

Have a land appraiser come out and look at the property and tell you what it is worth. If the guy who wants to buy it is from the ciy trying to take advantage of everything, charge him double-just kidding. Just try and find out what real estate is in your neck of the woods first

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

7-8 miles isn't too far for a hunting lodge to be away from hunting land. Find out what is a fair market value for what you have (land, buildings, etc.) and then let him make an offer for the entire property. He can then move the house if he wants to and sell or use the bare land. You can then buy or build elsewhere to suit your needs. Guy may representing a hunting club and they typically are well heeled people.

9. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

The city couple who bought my land are, shall we say, a bit naive, to be polite.

They bought the land with the idea of putting a huge old house on it and remodeling it. They had never done this before, of course. Nor had they ever lived in the country before.

They did find a huge old house, alright. It was a turn-of-the-century two story fixer house of about 3000 sq. ft. per story. They paid $40,000 for it. They had it moved some 60 miles to the site, which cost them about $30,000. After nearly 2 years at the site, it is mostly still unremodeled. Only real work has been on electric, septic, water, basement and a contractor rebuilt front porch. Husband started to gut interior, then kind of lost interest several months ago. Husband doesn't have a job. Wife moved to city 300 miles away to work -- to pay for all this.

They now have well over $100,000 in what still is a fixer-upper. They're doing most of the work with borrowed money. Go figure.

Lesson: There are people out there who will pay good money for anything without giving too much thought to what they're getting into. I'd put a good price on your house and see what they guy says. You can always go down, but not up. I certainly wouldn't give it away.

10. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.The guy that's wants it is from Louisania.He own a supply store that keep the off shore rigs going.He own a bunch of boats(large ships).He wants this house for his clients.So they can hunt.He bring out 10 -12 people at a time and they sure do spend money.I guess you can when ur in the oil business.I think he will give me about anything I want for it.Also checked on moving it.Guy wants 15,000.00 plus 10.00 per mile and line drops.I'm still in need of another house if he buys this one ,...So I'm going to ask him to replace it with a prefab house to go right back on my basement..Thanks idontno

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Make sure you have a legally binding contract which clearly specifies what each part is to give and get. His idea of a prefab may be different than yours. Get it down to make and model and fully set-up (turnkey - ready to move into).