Big hairy box

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by birdie_poo, Apr 4, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have a trio of flemmish in one pen. Last night, I noticed that the nest box had disturbed hay in it, and one of the does was pulling fur fromthe buck. I knew it was time!

I moved the buck out, I put more straw, bermuda and fresh grass in there for the doe...even threw in some emu feathers, since a buch had come out of one of my birds. She went to work without blinking an eye!

This morning, the nest was full of hair, and by patting the bundle, I could feel 3-5 babies...and they were big. When I get home, this evening, I will try to count them and see how many there are.

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Congrats birdy...I just had one of my does kindle about 1/2 hour ago got me 7 kits..these are dutches b/w...but she had 2 brown/white dutches...this has me thrown..mom and dad are both b/w and she has never dropped a brown on us:::scratches head:::; I have another sutch/rex mix due to kindle today as well as a mini rex....I have them all sold already thank god! lol...I only breed when I have the market which is pretty good year round for me.....cant wait to see what the mini rex drops....Dale Anne

3. birdie_poo

I'm really excited because this doe is the offspring of my last original flemmish I bought a while ago, that would not take care of her kits.

When that litter was born, I had to take them after the first day, because she nested in a burrow, an then covered then with dirt, effectively burying them alive.

I recovered them all and luckily, had 2 other does, standard & velveteen that had kidled. Since they are much smaller and these kits were huge, I had to keep swapping babies around to ensure everyone was getting fed. IN the end, I think each doe had a little of each litter. In fact, just a few months ago, I took a velveteen doe out from with this trio. She was squirming and grwling up a storm, so I thought she was pregnant, had her in with a box, but nothin. THat would look funny, huh? Flemish velveteens?

4. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

I have gotten rex type fur from a litter of black new zealands before, it was really neat

5. birdie_poo

Well, I checked the box. 6 healthy kits, one DIB. I got rid of it, and any of the hair that had blood or anything that would dry flies or ants. Babies look great!!

6. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

:dance: congrats!!