Big goat Little Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dougie, Mar 25, 2006.

1. dougie

dougie Well-Known Member

I have a pygmy buck and what i think is a British Alpine doe. Mr. Billy got out and went to visit Ms. Doe a week or so ago. He is just a little over a year old. And at my best guess I would say she is no less than 5. She was given to me 3 years ago and she was at least 2 at the time. She has never had a baby. My question is ..Has anyone had any luck breeding a smaller buck to a larger doe. (he is alot shorter than her) And should I be worried about her being an older doe giving birth for the first time.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Many people cross small breed goats unto large breed goats purposely. Mini nubians, minimanchas, mini alpines exc. are all the result of crossing a Nigerian dwarf buck onto a full size doe. Kinders are the result of crossing a pygmy buck unto a nubian doe. These are all desireable breeds and are often puposely bred. He may not have "reached" her, but he may have done the deed. Anywho, you may want to watch her quite well when it comes to kidding time and plan to BE THERE with her during kidding. She is more likely to have, but things can go perfectly fine, too. 5 years old is old to be having first kids. My doe kidded her first time last year at 3 years old and I guess she wasn't "streached out" enough. first came the amniotic sac... Normal up untill a second, then a third bubble came out! the vet advised that I pop them, and two bubbles deflated at the same time and the third deflated with the second pop, so it was only 2 sacs, but puncturing ended contractions! She was too pooped out to continue, so we took her to the vet who was able to pull twin does. (they considered a c-section before trying pulling again) anyway, the moral is to plan to have someone watching her at least 3 days before her duedate to call you at work or stay home yourself and keep her under surveilance.

3. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

He may not have "reached" her, but he may have done the deed

LOL....trust me, if the doe wanted to be bred bad enough, she would have squated down far enough for mr. pygmy to reach and 'do the deed' :goodjob: