Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as not to hijack a thread...

Another thread got into a discussion about dress and it went the way of long skirts. One of the reasons I don't wear long skirts that often is because I am a BIG girl (size 22-24/5'6" and let's just say I'm between 250 and 260 lbs. :p ) How the heck do I prevent chaffing of the thighs? LOL

Bloomers, etc. are a good idea but wearing shorts underneath seem to defeat the purpose of wearing a long skirt :shrug: Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try a mid-calf length denim skirt. I wear them all the time and don't have that problem and haven't for years. It allows the air in so as not to cause any chaffing issues. :) And yep, I'm a "big" girl too!

She

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you considered actually making cotton "bloomers?"

I wear cotton bike shorts under mine. A little "control," no, ahem, pantylines, and it stops that rubbing feeling. Cheap ones from Walmart or Target (sometimes $5) can be rinsed out nightly and worn instead of panties.
I Know! TMI
And you still get that precious air-flow!

(I weigh almost 200, I'm "heavily pear-shaped")

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
use cornstarch, it'll work and you can wear whatever the heck you want!
:hobbyhors

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wear pant slips, or pantaloons or whatever you like to call them. They are so very silky and thin, you don't even know that they're there. And they are comfy to sleep in too.

To me it just seems so much easier than ointments and powders and stuff.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Both Vermont Country Store and JC Penney sell cotton panties with legs that come to above the knees. I prefer the close fitting, thin ribknit ones from JC Penney. I wear them under both skirts and pants, including jeans.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I dont think that wearing shorts defeats the purpose....the purpose is to be modest yet feminine....wearing the shorts alone arent modest. I have a pair of shorts that are pretty light-weight and kinda form-fitting (I would NEVER wear them alone in public!!!) that I wear if I wear a skirt (I too am queen sized--291lbs 5'6")

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I'm big & I sweat a LOT. Nothing I tried worked for very long - my sweat would wash it off. I finally bought some men's boxer shorts at Walmart, the only store we have in town. :grump: I still get soaked with sweat but no more chaffing! :) However, men are built differently (no surprise) so the fit isn't perfect. I'm going to buy some cotton bloomers as soon as I can afford it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I weigh in at 200lbs (ish) and am 5'7". I hate having to wear hose unless it is cold so I wear leggings that go to just about knee length. They are in the lingerie department and also might be found in exercise wear too.

When I was younger, I wore the pantaloons that look (& feel) just like a slip but I can't remember what we called them then. I have toyed with creating some for myself but haven't been that brave yet with the machine.

~Lisa~

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The Lane Bryant catalog carries the long legged panties, and I also think that they carry the slips that are like pants too, for all of you bigger big ladies...
OK, I wanted to share a joke that we can all appreceate. It is kind of off topic, and yet not. This is meant as a joke and not to offend!

I decided that I needed to loose weight. So I tried taking up jogging. I had to quit though, it was hazardous to my health. Every time I tried to jog, the friction from my thighs rubbing together set my shorts on fire.... :baby04:

God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Registered
194 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to! I have friends that swear by it. It's called "anti monkeybutt powder"..some places it's just called monkey butt powder. You use it to prevent chafing. There's also a paste made by the same people that you can use for chafing and heat rash.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Hears The Water said:
I decided that I needed to loose weight. So I tried taking up jogging. I had to quit though, it was hazardous to my health. Every time I tried to jog, the friction from my thighs rubbing together set my shorts on fire.... :baby04:

God bless you and yours
Deb
LOL Deb, that was funny! :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
I wear lot of dresses and skirts and most generally wear cotton bike shorts that I get a Walmart. During the winter I always wear these kind of capri lenth cudle duds. I love them because they provide enough warmth even on the coldest days.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Well, there's always the option of losing weight.

Or wearing pantyhose.

Or both.

Some bicarbonate of soda or baby talc will also help to keep the area dry and reduce friction. You can add a drop or two of your favourite essential oil to either - a healing one like lavender will also smell nice.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I wear bloomers right above my knees, I have a BIG problem with chafing. Nylon bloomers are great because they don't have static. You can also wear bike shorts, those work good too.

The chafing gel, body glide, stuff like that doesn't work on me well. I don't wear bloomers around the house since we have fans and I can just cool down whenever I need. I wish fall would come so I could wear some leggings LOL.

Kat

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Some great Ideas,, you dont have to be 200lbs to chaff.. I am 5' 7" and 160 which is still over weight for me, and I have the same problem,I hate having my skin touching on my legs cause it chafs so bad when its hot, I wear alot of long skirts and usually end up wearing panty hose, Cornstarch does work great I should of took stock in it. I think I will try making some bloomers, I understand the joggy and having britches catchingon fire,,LOL I used to run 10 miles a day,, dont know what happen to those days, wow to have that energy again. guess age,weight, children and grandchildren finally caught up with me,, LOL

1 - 20 of 48 Posts