Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alpha in my little pack is a big ole white, Siberian Husky looking dog. I really like him because, he is really, big, looks mean and people are afraid of him, but he's gentle as a kiss and wouldn't hurt anyone. Even if I've only been gone 10 minutes, when I come home he acts like he hasn't seen me in days. :) But, he's always had a bad habit that I attribute to his ancestry of sled dogs. He likes to run just in front of my truck, or four wheeler or what ever, as I'm coming down the drive. I've tried to get him not to but, no luck, until last night.

I came home and he did as usual. I slowed to almost a stop, and he ran around my truck. That's when I felt the front tire run over something like a log. :O I ran over his head. I thought, great!, now I'm going to have to shoot my dog. He was standing real still, bawling and holding his mouth in a strange way. But, on examination he didn't look terminal, just a busted lip, bloody eye and ear, and a tire mark on his head. I checked him a couple times last night, and he was feeling sorry and had what looked like a mighty big headache.

When I left out this morning he didn't come out the driveway to see me off. I pulled back in and found him , fine, laying under some azaleas at the end of the drive. When I came home tonight he jumped around a little, but stayed way off from the truck. I actually had to call him when I got out. I'm very glad he lived through the experience and I hope he has learned a lesson.

Dogs.

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
I'm so glad he survived, Mark. What an awful thing to happen -- but it sounds like it turned out well enough. Poor boy!! I hope he enjoys a complete recovery!! (And the beloved dog, too!!)

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Dang vicker! I had to think about it before hitting the like button on that one. Hate to hear that. But like that you think he'll be okay. Maybe he learned somethin too, huh? My last dog did that all the time. Never got him to stop either. We used to have a beagle that tried to trip our half ton Chevy once. Turns out a beagle's foot feels pretty much like a two inch driveway rock when you roll over it. At least that's what the ex said. Whodathunkit? I remember, she didn't mistake his loud bawl of pain for the horn though. LOL

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is just fine tonight. I was worried about his eye last night, but it's clear and fine tonight. Doesn't even seem to be sore, but I didn't ruff house his head. :D I guess it's better I ran over his head than his leg lol!
There is no hope for a vet right now.

T

·
0 Posts
The alpha in my little pack is a big ole white, Siberian Husky looking dog. I really like him because, he is really, big, looks mean and people are afraid of him, but he's gentle as a kiss and wouldn't hurt anyone. Even if I've only been gone 10 minutes, when I come home he acts like he hasn't seen me in days. :) But, he's always had a bad habit that I attribute to his ancestry of sled dogs. He likes to run just in front of my truck, or four wheeler or what ever, as I'm coming down the drive. I've tried to get him not to but, no luck, until last night.

I came home and he did as usual. I slowed to almost a stop, and he ran around my truck. That's when I felt the front tire run over something like a log. :O I ran over his head. I thought, great!, now I'm going to have to shoot my dog. He was standing real still, bawling and holding his mouth in a strange way. But, on examination he didn't look terminal, just a busted lip, bloody eye and ear, and a tire mark on his head. I checked him a couple times last night, and he was feeling sorry and had what looked like a mighty big headache.

When I left out this morning he didn't come out the driveway to see me off. I pulled back in and found him , fine, laying under some azaleas at the end of the drive. When I came home tonight he jumped around a little, but stayed way off from the truck. I actually had to call him when I got out. I'm very glad he lived through the experience and I hope he has learned a lesson.

Dogs.

Oh. My. GAWSH!
I am horrified.
Because I cannot stop laughing at the visual of the tire mark across his noggin!

Is he still OK?

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was really afraid I had run over his muzzle and broke his jaw or something like that, but, no, he's fine. I don't mean to sound uncaring, because I'm not, I love my dogs. They've all three been with me for some years. We've seen the elephant together. :D I'd sure hate to have to put one down and, that would be my only option. In glad he has such a big ole head. ;)

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
What a heart-stopping moment! For both of you! I'm glad it seems he'll be all right.

U

·
0 Posts
I got a chuckle out of the way you told the story . Glad he's OK . You can break dogs from a lot of bad habits with a shock collar . Might sound cruel to some but most times it only takes a few times & is much better than the alternative .
I would say they probably hate being shocked almost as much as getting their head ran over .

·
Registered
689 Posts
We had a dog that we couldnt break from chasing cars. She got ran over and was out the next night chasing cars with a broken leg.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far he seems to be staying well back. I'd like to get a shock collar for just that sort of thing. They learn fast, so u know if only have to give any of them a couple of light corrections.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I am glad your dog is doing ok, is he eating alright? I was thinking about that for some reason.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Really glad your dog is OK!

...I'd sure hate to have to put one down and, that would be my only option...
I've had some hard times. I took the dogs to the vet, told them I was broke. They let me make payments as best I could until paid off.

I'm all about a good training collar, properly used. They can really mess up a dog if used in anger or after the fact as punishment. To correct something when its happening, they can be like magic.

On a side note,... I had mentioned my thoughts on improperly used training collars to a friend that wanted to borrow mine, and that I thought if used wrongly as punishment when mad at the dog, the person deserved a serious grits whipping on the spot. He thought about it and said he thought he may not have the temperament to use it correctly and decided not to borrow it.

T

·
0 Posts
Our one dog is too pig headed for a shock collar to work... We bought one, just for her, and when catching her doing naughty - a shock combined with the NAUGHT command - did nothing for her. We have struggled with her for four years.

I have been home since February, full time, and I am the Adamant One about behaviour and follow through...Hubster is much more inconsistent and whimsical! And she is JUST NOW becoming a half-way decent dog, without the collar. A lot of doggie behaviour comes from consistent or inconsistent follow-through. He still undoes a day's worth of training in five minutes when he gets home from work... (I have a bad back and do not allow human jumping, he thinks jumping on humans is enthusiastic adoration.)

Shock collars can help some dogs, as an Attention Getter, but consistent and thorough application is truly the key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts