Big Day on the Farm!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

You'd never know that we were dairy farmers. Today was all about pigs! We started off the morning by breeding a gilt that I raised myself. We did pig AI for the very first time. I think we did OK. I guess we'll see in a month.

Then in the afternoon we had our second batch ever of piglets farrowed out. I had been watching my sow like a hawk. The last batch she had last November I totally missed. This time I got to experiece the entire farrowing. I was really excited! 12 babies in all. 1 died between my DH being there and then leaveing to get me. Couldn't really tell what happened. It was sort of fun, the farrowing was a family affair. All the kids got to see some piglets born. My almost 2 yr old thought the sow was like a pop machine. He kept on yelling for "more, more babies" to come out.

This was the first batch of babies we had seen from our boar. He is a Hereford/Modern White cross. He is pure white. Out of this litter you can see his Hereford genetics. 4 of the piglets have Hereford markings and the rest are pure white. All in all I would say it was a successfull day. I'm only bummed that my digital camera is away getting fixed. I never get tired of pics!

Heather

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Good stuff Heather :) I never get tired of watching piglets being born and have been known to sit in the farrowing house with a flask of coffee (or was it a bottle of wine :D ), and a book waiting for the action to start.

Oh, I do wish I could have one of those Herefords. :Bawling:

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

yea Heather!!!!! My 13 year old hates farrowing. He gets woozy with blood and slimey things.

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Heather...wonderful news!! That is just great. There is nothing better than a good pig day!

5. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! :dance: And I'm so glad you all got to watch together, how exciting! How hard was the AI? Did it require two people? I may be going this route in a few months. It's more than a bit daunting!

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Congratulations! :) Good day indeed :dance:

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

We were fortunate to have the benefit of experience with AI on cattle, as some things( basic phisiology) are analagous. Different tools, techniques, and dealing with Fresh vs. frozen Semen more stressful than cattle.
    A BIG BIG THANKS goes out to BuckShotBoers and MilkinPIgs for their knowledge and optimistic support. Also the PURDUE University instructional
    is excellent ! Thank You Purdue! Won't say it's easy, but it can be learned.
    We will try not to get too excited yet - Mother Nature still decides!!!!!!!

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Heather better get that camera up and running before they are born... :nerd: