Big Colletion of Articles about Hutterites and Lifestyle

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Nov 16, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

2. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Lovely people! Very interesting to read about them.

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

It is pretty cool stuff!

I watched them on Prarie Quest and it was pretty neat.

Kat

4. sulix

sulix Well-Known Member

If you lived in So.Dak....the local Hutterites don't do the local economy any good...Buy everything out of the territory.Want locals to support them.Buy up all the land from small farmers and multiply like rats.We supply schools for them.With our tax money.
    However i do want to explain....I have a lot of good friends with the Hutterites.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Hutterites must be far different in South Dakota than those I grew up next to in Eastern Montana. The Hutterites were the only reason that we had a farm implement dealer and huge farm store. They were always the first to purchase the newest and latest farm equipment. The various colonies supplied most of the chickens and eggs to the stores in the region through their state certified facilities. They are masterful farmers and succeed where many others cannot. That the King Colony now owns and farms my great grandparents homestead is testament to the fact that they were better at it than my family.

While I don't know the situation today, I would think it hasn't changed much over the years...Hutterites support business in their own region, probably more than anyone else simply because they don't have ready transportation and have to pay others to supply them.

They pay the same taxes as anyone else in the state and probably more so since they are so successful. Not only that, they use very few of the benefits that the state provides with those taxes, prefering to take care of their own needs.

The Hutterites I am familiar with also provide for their own schools and teachers.

If you are interested in learning more about these rather secretive folks, I highly recommend columns written by a young Hutterite woman for the Great Falls Tribune. In looking for their archives, I discovered that the articles have been collected into a book which I'll heartily endorse: My Hutterite Life by Lisa Marie's Stahl