Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hired Hand
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The resident buck took out his frustrations on one of the honey crisp apple sapling planted this past spring. The sapling is ~3’ tall and did well through the summer. Now all the branches are gone as is more than 75% of the bark. Any thoughts on what now looks like a Charlie Brown tree’s chances for survival? Any suggestions on what I can do to help increase the chances?

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
Prune off any parts that are gonna die anyway. ( almost off branches, places where the bark is girdled, etc.) Bind up any splits that might heal up. Put up a fence to protect what's left of it. Provide ideal conditions (water if no rain, weed around it, mulch from drip line to 1inch from trunk). No fertilizer in winter, something mild applied once every 2 weeks when buds break in spring. Compost tea is good. Prune any shoots that are from below the graft as they appear. With that said, if it was last years sapling, it might be easier to start over this spring with a new one than to fix a wreck.....

·
Hired Hand
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prune off any parts that are gonna die anyway. ( almost off branches, places where the bark is girdled, etc.) Bind up any splits that might heal up. Put up a fence to protect what's left of it...
Sadly, all the branches are gone. Looks like a stick someone stripped the bark off of and then stuck into the ground. :Bawling:Good advice on the fence, at least for the other new saplings. Maybe he'll leave the others alone if I fence them.

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
Oof! :eek: If that's all you got left, yank it and start over. It will take more than a year for it to get back to where it was. You will get a productive tree faster if you start over. We made circles of 2x4 welded and put around our cherry saplings for the first couple years. But what worked best was to fence in the whole "orchard" and use it for a dog run..... We left the wire circles up while the trees were small enough that the dogs could damage them.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I agree with the other posts,but if its a grafted tree and theres still good bark(all the way around)From the graft to the damage,I would try to find a small bud just below the damage, and about one eighth inch above that bud,cut the top off.Next spring it will start growing from that bud. If you have other apple trees about the same size and one short tree will spoil the looks,then dig up and transplant to a location where its heighth really dosen't matter. Its growth will just be one year behind the other trees and you'll still have a grafted tree.just my 2 cents Eddie

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
The bucks around here are bent on killing all my Norway spruces. :flame: We cage them every year, but lose one every year because we don't get the cages up in time. Ugh.

I agree with Eddie on how to handle the tree, and with Ed and ragingbull on how to handle the buck, LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts