Bidens? Anyone know this plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Little Quacker in OR, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hi! Picked up this plant at a local nursery. It's not listed in my garden book and I'm curious about it. Any info out there?

Thanks, LQ

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Google "bidens" plant (use the quotes) and you'll come up with several options. Don't know what your baby looks like but sounds like a "brand" name to me.

katy

3. Little Quacker in OR

Thanks Katy! I do keep forgetting what a great tool GOOGLE is! LQ

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

When you find out let me know. We have seeds but haven't planted them yet. I have one for you. What is "Eleanore?" We have seeds for those too.

5. Little Quacker in OR

:) Hi, I did just what katy suggested and found that it's an attractive little ground hugger with yellow, daisy like flowers. Has a horrible common name, no wonder they call it Bidens! LOL

As for the "Eleanore". that sounds like a variety name. Is there a genus or species or other name on the package?

Having 80 degree weather and whining! LOL LQ

6. If the Bidens involved here are the native American variety, they are NOT a ground cover. We know them as Devil's Pitchforks around here. Flowers resemble some of the wild prairie sunflowers but the seeds have two nasty prongs. Bushy plants to 3 feet or so and their seeds stick to clothing very easily and are the Devil to pull out!

Martin