Bicycle Powered Washing Machine

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by jonesjp, Sep 27, 2005.

1. jonesjp

jonesjp New Member

As you might guess from the subject line I want to build a bicycle powered washing machine.... I looked all over online and there was lots of talk about them but no actual plans... i'm not very mechanical minded but I'm sure i could work one out with a little experamentation and elbow grease but just figured I'd check here first... does anyone happen to have any plans for a bicycle powered washing machine... something else nice would be a bicycle powered centrefuge for clothes... wouldn't get them "dry" but would get a lot of the excess water out and be easier than ringing.

all ideas are greatly appreciated.
    JP

2. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

For a starter I would forget any notions of generating electricity from a bicycle to power a washer as I think the most anyone could manage for more than a few minutes would be a paltry one or two hundred watts.

I wont say the bicycle powered washer is impossible because someone, somewhere, has no doubt tried it!

I think the most effective way of washing clothes by leg muscle power is to put the clothes in a bath with soap and plenty of water and tromp on them. Twenty minutes of that should get them nice and clean and be a real work out!

3. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

5. jonesjp

jonesjp New Member

Actually my intent is more on the lines of a mechanical washing not electric... I figure I turn the pedal which turns the wheel which turns a belt that turns a paddle that agitates the clothes.... I'll check out the links.. thanks for all advice guys.

6. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

7. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

why not start with a wringer washer and add the bicycle to it. all the wringers i have had use a gearbox ran by an electric motor via belt.don't know what RPM you would need but i think that may be the best starting point.

8. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

I have to ask...WHY? why would you want such a contraption

9. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm interested in this too.
    Do you live anywhere near NY?
    Scott

10. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

11. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

i like the idea of designing such a device and was in the beginning stages of designing it in my head.
    then I stopped and wondered if i built one and operated it and it worked wonderfully, would it be an improvement over another method.

I hand wash my clothes sometimes. It takes less time than doing it in the washer and takes less water and the clothes come out way cleaner. the downside is that the clothes aren't as dry as when they are spun by a washer.

Even though I think it would be fun to build and operate, i doubt it would save time or effort or water or result in cleaner clothes than doing it by hand.

Using a bicycle to run a wringer washer, as already suggested, may be closer to a workable idea, but when you are moving all the water by buckets and whatnot anyhow and if you're going to have to be there working the whole time that the washing is going on, it's still kind of hard to beat handwashing, in my opinion.

12. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Hmm, Raymilosh has a point there. But having washed sheets in a bathtub many times, I can say that is certainly easier by machine! :help: Anyway, looks like the original poster has abandoned the thread, but this fellow might have some ideas for him: http://www.brattleborofoodcoop.com/store/producers.html

13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you'll hate it half way through the first time you try to use it. A gasoline engine and drive belt would be far superior.

And converting any washing machine to belt drive is quite common in Amish territory. It's easily done.