Biblical Ladybug Plague

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Chuck, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG] Has anyone ever seen anything like this? We're having an unseasonably warm day today, and the ladybugs are literally filling the air, like a light snowfall. They absolutely LOVE our log cabin, too.

Actually, I don't think these are real ladybugs, but locusts in disguise.

Should I spray on the malathion or what?

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

It's the beginning of the end.

3. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Yuppers! Made it up that far now, did they? They're the Asian variety, not native to the US. They bite and they stink when you squish 'em. When they get in the house, vacuum them up and burn the bag or they'll hide out and die in your fixtures, appliances, etc.

lathermaker likes this.
  4. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

They are a type of japanese beetle or so I was told.Once you have them in the house you have them..We get them on one window on warm sunny days every year.The only problem with them is they stink and make a mess..

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

They're those artificial lady bugs that were shipped in..yeah, spray them! Or, dip them in chocolate for an afternoon snack :p

6. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Dont feel like the lone ranger there every where in the house and outside there so darn thick its not even funny.Ive never seen anything like it before.
    My son is catching the ones in the house.But dang theres so many.......

7. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

DO NOT LET YOUR DW or YOU use the vaccume that you intend to keep.
    It will stink forever. Use bug spray outside, the cheep stuff will do just fine. Then sweep them up. The problem with these little buggers is that they will overwinter in your house. Then its just as bad ( swarms) in the spring.

Been there done that. feeling for ya :)

8. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Is this the first time you seen these?
    Around here you use a shovel to pick them up!
    What a pita.
    This year we got Box-elder bugs also. Hope it gets cold soon.

9. jross

jross swamper

We can thank our organic farming friends for this addition to our environment in the name of integrated pest management, asian lady beetles. I believe they have displaced our local lady beetles. They seem to be attracted to light colored houses. One learns to cook with a dustbuster in one hand.

10. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think they were released in PA by the DNR to combat aphids on hemlocks or something. unless you can fill every nook and cranny in the exterior of your house, and i mean every nook and cranny, just forget about them. resistance is futile. assimilation is imminent.

i normally manually gather as many as i can and flush them. i doubt spraying will help much.

11. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

I'm being overrun too. I've spent an hour today vaccuming, and made no progress. I haven't noticed an odor, but I don't squish them, and I'm using the shop vac.

Last year we had them, but only on the south side of the house, and not nearly this many. Now they are everywhere, you can't even walk outside. They seem to like long hair too, lol.

I don't use a dust buster to cook with :baby04: but I have to make sure everything has a lid on it. And I can't set my dishes in the drainer to dry, made that mistake last night and had to rewash everything. I think I'll get some spray tonight, just hope it works.

12. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yup, as I said I look at my house as sort of the winter vacation spot for them. The upstair bathroom is sort of like jamaica and the downstairs bathroom is sort of like florida. They really like my bathrooms, probably because of the moisture.

13. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

They're here in south central Indiana also. I heard that they were imported by some greenskeepers for the aphids. I try not to use chemicals, but these guys were winning, so I wait until after they stop swarming and then set off bug bombs on every level of the house and garage. Yes, I think they particularly like log cabins.

14. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a site that shows the difference between the Asian type and the native type?
    We get a variety of 'ladybugs' and I had no idea that any were a non-native.

15. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

16. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

How come I had a bumber crop of aphids this year ? Hmmmm ? The asian imports not up to native quality ?

17. RollrXGirl

RollrXGirl Member

I think you meant to say "we can thank the Government" - sorry, the organic farmers had nothing to do with this one. :rolleyes:

"During the late 1970s through the early 1980s, tens of thousands of multicolored Asian lady beetles were intentionally released by the U. S. Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS) in an effort to control insect pests that injure trees. The USDA-ARS coordinated the lady beetle releases in many southern and eastern states, including Ohio, Maine, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana. In Ohio, a total of approximately 1,800 lady beetles was released in Cuyahoga and Lake Counties during June 1979 and July 1980. During this period, the largest USDA-ARS releases (more than 11,000 lady beetles) were made in Georgia. In addition, more than 14,000 lady beetles were released in the western United States near Yakima, Washington. Small releases were also made in the District of Columbia and in Nova Scotia, Canada. The USDA-ARS release program was eventually discontinued because failed recapture efforts suggested that the multicolored Asian lady beetle was not surviving in the United States."

18. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

19. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Here's another link with information on them.

From University of Kentucky Entomology:

One species of lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis, can be a nuisance however, when they fly to buildings in search of overwintering sites and end up indoors. Once inside they crawl about on windows, walls, attics, etc., often emitting a noxious odor and yellowish staining fluid before dying.

In many areas of the U.S., these autumn invasions are such a nuisance that they affect quality of life.
    http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/trees/ef416.htm

20. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

Every year we get a swarm like that, on the sunny side of our Log home, never thought much about it, soon they leave, never been a problem that I could see. Lady Bugs are cool I think, maybe I've got the good kind?