Bibb Lettuce

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Nomad, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Can Bibb Lettuce be cut more than once like other greens? I have some and cut the leaves off a couple off leaving what I thought was plenty. While my salad mix and chard replentish pretty quickly, the lettuce seems to be just sitting there. Have I erred in thinking it will grow back?

Nomad

2. Nomad

I hope somebody can give me some advice before I destroy any more plants.

Nomad

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

It's alright to take a few leaves from each plant while they continue to grow. Is the ground moist enough? How about nutrients - does it need a dose of fertilizer? Has it gotten hot? Lettuce prefers cooler weather. If it's gotten hot the plants might either slow down growth or bolt.

4. HalfpintHomestd

HalfpintHomestd Well-Known Member

I've never taken cuttings from it like I have with romaine but when I cleared the lettuce out of my raised bed I have mini heads growing back from some of the roots I misses. It seems to grow slower that other styles but it is also 90+ degrees here everyday so that may be affecting the growth of the small head.

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Yes you can. Also cover them with remay fabric and you will have lettuce all year long without bitter taste.

6. Nomad

The lettuce is in a hoop type greenhouse, so it gets pretty warm. I water every day and we tilled in bushels of horse manure before planting. I bought the lettuce already started at a nursery and the tag led me to believe it was leaf lettuce that could be harvested continually. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it and not take too much off at one time. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Nomad