Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TS ran a special on their 1/2-in x 50 ft soaker hose and we purchased 2 rolls from the store in College Station, TX for use in irrigating rows in our veggie garden.

Wife connected the 2 hoses with a Y splitter to our irrigation well. Within minutes, one of the hoses split and was squirting a stream 10-12 ft in the air. We took that roll back to the CS store and obtained a replacement. It is approx. 30 miles from our farm to the TS store or 60 miles RT.

Wife replaced the split hose with the replacement and we left the soakers running over night. When we returned there were multiple "flyers" and significant erosion of the sandy-loam soil in our veggie garden. We drove in to Hearne, TX to a Dollar General (6 miles, or 12 miles RT) and purchased a roll of duct tape and another of electrical tape. Returned, turned off water, and tried to patch splits with Duct tape and electrical tape. After each repair, she would lay the soaker hose down and I would turn on the water again. After each of multiple (5 or 6) tape jobs, the hose would split within a few seconds and send another stream into the air or soil.

Eventually, we said "To @%*# with all that!" and removed the soaker hoses from the system. Next day, we loaded the muddy hoses up and returned to the Tractor Supply in CS. My intent was that at least they would have to toss this Chinese Junk in their dumpster rather than us tossing it in ours.

The clerk did return the cost of the two rolls, but, of course, nothing for the multiple trips, lost time, rolls of patching tape, etc.

The attitude that we were doing something wrong with these soakers hoses leaves a nasty taste in my mouth about Tractor Supply!

As a retired Materials Engineer, I strongly suspect that the heating of this reclaimed rubber was off spec and thus extremely weak and brittle. The pressure switch on our well is set for range of 40 - 60 psi, and wire connected the soakers to 50 ft of 3/4 inch hose. There were 4 valves between the well discharge and the soakers, so there was some pressure drop between the pressure switch and where the soakers hoses split.

Do waste much time with this hose, even if they give it to you!

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
We have had problems with the recycled-tire soaker hoses, no matter where they come from. Cracking, splitting, etc. And eventually, the pores plugged up with minerals from our hard water (left when the drips evaporated).

We have since gone to t-tape and been very happy with it.

·
Saltine American
6,588 Posts
I have bought several at different places and they are in fact junk. You are lucky to get a season out them. If you step on them a few times they will split.

That being said, i think the water pressure was too high.

Years ago Walmart sold a soaker hose kit for about $15.00 and it had 100 ft of hose, some fittings and header tubes. I had several of those and used for over 10 years in the garden. Walking on them didn't hurt them and the tiller tires didn't either. I had to trash them when the sqirrels ate holes in them.

I am sure these are the same hoses.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Instead of a hose grommet, mine have a plastic disc with a small oriface drilled in it. Did yours have that? In lieu of a pressure reducing valve, the oriface keeps pressure down. It is much more restriction than a few open valves. A 12psig pressure reducing valve would be better. Mine have lasted a few years. The tiller made a mess of one, but I fixed it with a hose mender.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to correct that it was the Ground Works 1/2-in x 100 ft Soil Soaker product.
We were trying to replace the 50 ft hoses from Harbor Freight on some rows that are 75-80 ft long.

TS ran a special on their 1/2-in x 50 ft soaker hose and we purchased 2 rolls from the store in College Station, TX for use in irrigating rows in our veggie garden.

Wife connected the 2 hoses with a Y splitter to our irrigation well. Within minutes, one of the hoses split and was squirting a stream 10-12 ft in the air. We took that roll back to the CS store and obtained a replacement. It is approx. 30 miles from our farm to the TS store or 60 miles RT.

Wife replaced the split hose with the replacement and we left the soakers running over night. When we returned there were multiple "flyers" and significant erosion of the sandy-loam soil in our veggie garden. We drove in to Hearne, TX to a Dollar General (6 miles, or 12 miles RT) and purchased a roll of duct tape and another of electrical tape. Returned, turned off water, and tried to patch splits with Duct tape and electrical tape. After each repair, she would lay the soaker hose down and I would turn on the water again. After each of multiple (5 or 6) tape jobs, the hose would split within a few seconds and send another stream into the air or soil.

Eventually, we said "To @%*# with all that!" and removed the soaker hoses from the system. Next day, we loaded the muddy hoses up and returned to the Tractor Supply in CS. My intent was that at least they would have to toss this Chinese Junk in their dumpster rather than us tossing it in ours.

The clerk did return the cost of the two rolls, but, of course, nothing for the multiple trips, lost time, rolls of patching tape, etc.

The attitude that we were doing something wrong with these soakers hoses leaves a nasty taste in my mouth about Tractor Supply!

As a retired Materials Engineer, I strongly suspect that the heating of this reclaimed rubber was off spec and thus extremely weak and brittle. The pressure switch on our well is set for range of 40 - 60 psi, and wire connected the soakers to 50 ft of 3/4 inch hose. There were 4 valves between the well discharge and the soakers, so there was some pressure drop between the pressure switch and where the soakers hoses split.

Do waste much time with this hose, even if they give it to you!

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
yep 3 out of 4 of mine split in less than one season. except I am out the money! I dont havereceipts or my packaging despite it claiming 15 yr warranty i have no way to return it *sighs*

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm debating going to the aerator and some furrows to water my garden. I don't want to do the over head rain bird and am not real happy with the soaker hoses. I do wide beds on ground level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts