Between hurricanes and NK....

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by anniew, Sep 4, 2017.

1. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Considering the devastation from hurricanes and the threats from North Korea, who here is putting their prepping into even higher gear, and specifically, what extra stuff are you doing, above and beyond what your normal preps include?

Oregon1986 likes this.
  2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

There's no practical way for most to "prep" for anything involving North Korea.

As for hurricanes, people should always be ready if they live in an area that is subject to being hit. It's the peak of the season, so everyone should have had their preps and plans in order by now.

We did just recently buy a new generator, but that was to replace the old one we had.

We're doing some clean up around the yard before anything hits, but we would have done that anyway. With Irma possibly coming here we moved that ahead on the schedule.

Otherwise it's just life as normal. We've ridden out storms before, and will do so again if we have to.

I'm hoping though I won't ever see another hurricane first hand.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Life as usual, check.

The cool thing about prepping is that if you prep for one disaster you are kind of prepping for others

Pantry is full, but, I should get more protein. My freezer is reasonably full but it will be blizzard season soon, and where I live loss of power is a real risk. I will watch for sales on chili and such.

My pullets are now laying but I ought to clear out the shed and get more feed. Nobody wants to make a feed store run when the weather is bad.

Hurricanes are driving up fuel prices and I know I OUGHT to store gas, if only because the hurricane season is just starting, but I do not WANT to store flammable, stinky, space hog gas and so I do not. And I do know better. But I still am not going to.

The bad part of not storing gas is that I live well away from the stores and such. But I still refuse to store gas.
    ..................................................................................
    My to-do list.

1. Clean the shed where I keep feed and buy some feed to store.

2. Pot up leafy vegetables so that I can bring them inside if I choose to. Because preps do not provide us with salads. I have found that those bunches of green onions in the stores do very well in pots: I will get some! I have already started some cabbages and they are just coming up now.

3. Usual Fall clean up.

4. Put away the battery lights. They have been drifting around because we rarely use them in the summer, as the nights are short and when it is dark out it is bedtime anyways. During the winter I like to store the battery lights in the living room and in the bedroom, so they are convenient when needed. Sooner or later we will need flashlights this winter: we always do.

City Bound likes this.
  4. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

I disagree.

Making sure you have you water source protected - ie covering for your well-head.

Having enough iodine on hand to treat for exposure.

Faraday cage for electronics in the event of an EMP.

There's lots of ways to mitigate action by a nuclear power.

Murby likes this.
  5. k9

k9 Well-Known Member

Terri- not sure what you are wanting to store gasoline for, if it is a generator consider changing it over to propane. If it's for transportation I feel your pain, gas does not store well these days anyway.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have HEARD gas can have stabilizer added, but I still do not wish to store it. And, yes, it would be for transportation.

I personally think that if NK STARTS a nuclear war that either Russia or China will assassinate Kim, as the prevailing winds would blow radioactivity over their southern territory. They seriously do not want nuclear war in either Korea. I also think that if somebody else starts a war that they will back NK.

7. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I try to always be prepared for anything but sadly if North Korea decided to nook us,not much we could do

8. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

We've been preppers for years. Other then filling up our cars and stocking up on perishables I don't foresee ourselves being caught-up in any mass panic.

Oregon1986 likes this.
  9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Most people can't or won't do any of those things.
    I agree "there are ways".
    They just won't be done.

10. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

I prepped when I bought my land. Made sure I had a water source and room to roam. Now we are prepared for most any disaster or emergency. If I'm not prepared for it I'm prepared for the life after.

mnn2501 and cfuhrer like this.
  11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I have had difficulty storing gasoline the past few years. I think something has been added to it that makes the stabilizer not work well. I hear that buying premium with no ethanol will provide store-able gas but not sure all vehicles and equipment can/will run on premium.

Terri likes this.
  12. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

Just purchased an entire off-grid solar system to be stored in a Faraday cage.. 4000 watts of panels, an 8KW split phase OutBack Radian inverter and Flexmax 80 charge controllers..

I figure if North Korea hits us with an EMP, lead acid batteries will be easy to find so no need to purchase them... although I do have the large gauge cables...

13. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

Murby is my new hero! ;)

Murby likes this.
  14. Southern Forest

Southern Forest Well-Known Member

When Hurricane Katrina hit (we took the full brunt in southern Mississippi, as opposed to New Orleans glancing blow and the failure of levies that everyone for decades said would fail), all we had to do was start cooking the freezer. We were weeks without power and we simply acclimated. Frankly, I got tired of eating meat - I started really looking forward to eating the first pop-tart! If you always keep necessities on hand and keep a level head, you're okay. The new place is 30 miles further north and is built around a no-power existence. That is my plan, simply dial-back life to the first 100 years the house was around. We have food to get us through the first year as we begin the significant crop-growing. There's nothing else more we plan on doing. If we get nuked - something that threatened me the first half of my life anyway - then so be-it. My soul is well prepared as well.

15. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member