between beaumont and mont belview, Texas?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes I do realize this is my 3rd "who lives" thread, sorry. But does anyone live between these 2 cities? What would be the highest elevation point you think? I might move and change jobs all in one fell swoop and because of my family might think about this area. But, I'm so afraid of getting into another flooding situation I've got to target the high ground. Because of what I do (design and test software) I might have to work in Beaumont but could drive as far as an hour west of Beaumont. I SERIOUSLY doubt East Houston or West beaumont or anything in between will have any work I can do but it doesn't hurt to hope.

edit: I forgot to say that another reason to move to this area is I think the land is a lot cheaper than where I am now so I could probably get more land too. Ahhh it would be so nice to work out of the home and not in an office. I really hate my job by the way but am fortunate to have it.

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You really really need to check official flood plain maps before you consider that area.

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I lived there for 13 years. I do believe at one time or another every place within 20 miles of Beaumont flooded lol. I guess its all relevant but land certainly isnt cheap there either. Beaumont has had a huge growth spurt in the last ten years and land prices have skyrocketed. My sister thought that she was getting a water free house in Bevill Oaks outside of Beaumont and ended up with three feet throughout her house. You could always do as my father did over in Orange and build on stilts. His house is nine feet off the ground and once in a blue moon gets about three feet under it. Remember Beaumont is just Luoisianna under a different name. Stay away from Pine Island Bayou and Taylors Bayou areas for sure. If you head out hway 90 you can be relatively safe in places like China and Liberty as long as you dont buy/build near water. I remember getting off the bus in middle school on the West End by the municipal airport and wading through waist deep water to get to the house. I lived over in South Park section of Beaumont (home of Mark Chessnutt,Tracy Byrd and Clay Walker for country fans) and I went downstairs to leave for work and had water over the hood of my car from overnight rains. I remember a guy being chased by cops because he was riding his jet ski up and down Dowlen Street in a affluent neighborhood lol Lumberton-China-Liberty-Woodville are all nice places. Small towns

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

an easy way to check to see if the land floods, is to check the property out on terraserver or google maps...enter the specific location, then check out the local elevation variations...if it's all flat...pass...if your location is more than ten feet or so from the surroundings, you might get by... I got lucky and was able to consult my grandfather for flooding data where I built my home... that next year we had a very good flood...the Sabine river, which is normally ~2 miles away, came within 100 yds of my home, but still had 13' of elevation to go before getting in my doors....

Or, buy hilly land...

Or, buy some more of that fine bottomland, but put your home up on 'stilts' like a few of the locals do who are afraid of the 100yr flood...

good luck in your search

5. Sparticle

If I do go that way I will come visit. I'm not that far now. My parents live on the San Jac now. I know there are the alternatives of building on stilts, but I've been on the san San Jac when the water is over your head under the house and the river is raging white water under your house and that's a terrifying feeling. Then you look up where the street should be and there goes the coast guard with a bull horn telling you they cant come get you because the fence is too tall to get the boat over so hang tight.

I take in animals who wouldn't be able to take care of themselves if I was away from home and it flooded like a blind and deaf pig and I have just decided after living here and dealing with flood waters every winter I'm done. That's it. I want high and dry. I guess I shouldn't have picked the Gulf coast of Texas to live in huh? But I know there are people who live here who have never been flooded, so I have hope that I'll find that rare property that's high enough.

Thanks for all the input guys, it's really helpful.

6. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

ok... I talked to hubby.. he and I agree that if you are looking in this area.. you dont want to buy on hwy 90. also stay off of 321. Kenefick is high and dry... so is Dayton. how much land are you looking for? there are many areas out here that do not flood. but there are also many that do ! lol you can e-mail us at TxAngel33 @ EV1.net (take out spaces) w/ more of what your looking for.. we can do some leg work for you and give you an idea of wats here that would fit your needs :) Good Luck!!

7. Alice In TX/MO

8. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

My goodness, all these people on here from East Texas and some from my home town. Howdy.

If a hurricane is large enough and comes inland Dayton will flood, happened one year. Also Kenefick, my Aunt lived in Kenefick, can't remember which year it was, but they were packed to get out of there. (I didn't live there at the time).

The Trinity has overflowed it's banks on occassion and flooded parts of Liberty. Don't even mention the river bottom between Dayton and Liberty.

Beginning to get homesick for East Texas again. I will go home and visit about the middle of October. Then I remember the high humidity, snakes and bugs and will be glad to get back out here in West Texas.

9. Topaz Farm

In the Abilene area.

10. bonsai jim

bonsai jim Well-Known Member

I live in Alvin/Santa FE area. We are at 32 feet. Check the FEMA web site for flood zone information. We looked at what the drainage ditches are like in any given area, how people build their houses- i.e., slab height, grading, retention ponds and any other signs of water levels- "dirt lines". That will indicate what happens when it rains...

I work under the premise that any good tropical storm can put you under water no matter what the map says...

Jim Stone

11. Alice In TX/MO

You have to realize that last winter was VERY unusual and wet. The whole Gulf Coast was wet. Our yard was squishy for months, but we weren't under water. Water drains slowly when you are on the coastal plain and have clay soil.

A funny on that....I have a very small rental house in town, and it was rented by a young college girl who is from George West, which is in desert country. After a rainy month, she called complaining that "the house was built on a low spot" because the yard was soggy and that there were "just too many mosquitoes."

I about fell over laughing, and I told her that I guessed the whole town was built on a low spot, and she wasn't the only one with mosquitoes. We talked a bit about the differences in climate and topography between Jackson County and the George West area. After she broke up with her roomie, she moved back home.

12. Sparticle

To be mosquito and chigger free would be heaven wouldn't it?

13. Topaz Farm

Well, move on out here, hardly any skeeters and no chiggers. :)