Better Watch for Dog thieves!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, Feb 21, 2005.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I normally don't post much about things like this, but this so made me mad!!
    Gist: Jon Katz writes for Slate (something I normally don't read much). This article written today talks about rescuing a farmer's dog by chronicling how this group of do gooders stole the dog (cut the dog's leash), then removed the collar and tags and threw them away, and the dog will end up at Katz's farm. He boasts about receiving stolen property (the dog)..anyway, he's promoting the idea that if a dog is tethered outside, that it is fair game for animal "rights" activists to steal the dog to "rescue" it. These people never approached the farmer in question to ask if they could have the dog, buy the dog, etc...they just stole it.

Anyway, describes a whole "network" of people who assist in the theft..and how they do it. BTW - dog was purebred border collie..and they knew how much the dog cost by talking to neighbors...sure makes me glad no one can see my dogs from the road!

http://www.slate.com/id/2113564/

sorry I am very upset to think that anyone's dog is fair game to these people..
    Sidepasser

2. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I can't get the article to come up but frankly, I'd be tempted to track down the local police and pass along the article. There may be enough to convict him. I dare one of these nuts to try that sort of stunt with my Pyr. He isn't tied so maybe he wouldn't be considered fair game. I'd say it wouldn't be a fair fight either. The Pyr has a definite advantage.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well our dog weighting in around 120lbs she isnt a easy snach

4. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

hope I posted the link right, anyway it is on the MSN home page - story called underground dog railroad. Click there and it will take you to the story on Slate.

A neighbor did call the police/humane society but the dog was not starved, beaten or otherwise abused, so the farmer was not prosecuted for anything.

guess it just goes to show that people will use any excuse to take what isn't theirs, not to mention the farmer is out $200 plus the feed, etc. for the dog. to top it off, the thieves spayed the dog...

Wonder what the farmer will think if he hears of this on the internet - it's so prominently displayed on MSN's homepage, someone he knows is bound to see it.

Sidepasser

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I meant to prosecute the thieves, not the farmer. I still can't get the link to work - probably because I have a pop-up blocker that is getting in the way. If he has posted to his own website detailing how he committed the crime, it can be used as a written confession.

6. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I posted her previously about getting my dog back -- he disappeared from my yard, neighbors reported that the local "rescue lady" AKA "animal collector" had him and they'd seen him on her property -- positive ID from several people including one who said, "He's got a white tailtip, doesn't he? And he grins all the time when you talk to him?" something you couldn't see from the photo!

So I visited her and she denied having my dog. Didn't have it. Had about forty acres fenced in with enormous dogs running loose so I couldn't see the kennels on her property.

Animal control was WELL acquainted with her and knew exactly who I was talking about when I called them to find out if they could help. (They coudn't.)

So I drove up and down her road for hours yelling my dog's name every few feet. I had a pretty good "reason" to do so -- the neighbors had, after all, seen my dog in the area. I also mentioned to the lady I'd press charges if I found he'd been "kept" by someone when he was microchipped and had tags on!

Well, he turned up in the same area the next day after I started driving up and down the road, "looking" for him. Someone else found him and called me. Oddly enough, he had his rabies tag on a cheap collar that wasn't his -- when I'd lost him, he'd had on two NICE collars, one nylon one for tying him up (briefly, to keep him from exiting the yard when I had the gate open) and a choke chain for walking him on.

Apparently the, *ahem*, "rescue lady's" rational for stealing people's animals if she finds them loose is that if a dog's running loose, the owner wasn't careful with it, and she can give it a better home. But in my case, we'd had a bit of a flood, and the gate was undermined by running water and Oliver went for a romp.

Leva

7. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

People that have the gall to go on other peoples property and steal any animal deserve to be treated like horse or cattle theives. They would be shot on sight here, no questions asked. Survivors, well there wouldn't be any, because they would be shot again.

Bob

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Losers!

I hope someone does shoot them.

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Amen.
    I've always said that noone with a brain in their head would come close to Sam, our beloved Pyr, without one of us holding his collar. Aren't pyrs the best? I can't wait to be moved and fenced and get two more pyrs.
    I want a bumper sticker that reads:
    If it's not a Pyrenese, it's just a dawg.

The local basset rescue has a 3 page contract to sign before you can adopt one of their dogs. One of the clauses is that you will never, ever, tie your dog in the yard. One family moved, the yard wasn't completely fenced, they tied the dog to a tree. They left going to Home Depot to buy enough chain link to finish the partial fence. The rescue group had heard that the family had moved and stopped in for a "suprise" visit. The dog had food and water and a dog house within reach along with scores of toys. The rescue lady reposesssed the dog, breach of contract sort of thing. The family consisted of a man and a lady, both lawyers, who sued the rescue. They got the dog back but then they were counter sued by the lawyer of the rescue group. The second judge overthrew the decision of the first, stating that a legal contract was breached and the dog was taken away from the family, who had a 10 year old boy who had grown very attached to the dog.

That next Saturday, when the rescue lady asked if she could bring some dogs into my petstore for an adoption day, I told her that she couldn't and gave her many reasons as to why. Even with the cat adoption that we have every weekend, there is noone employed at my store that qualifies to adopt one of their $150 strays. I have kids and that's not acceptable. I was also turned down by the Great Dane rescue and the St. Bernard rescue for the same reason. Thank God I bought my pyrenese from a breeder and did NOT have to sign any contract.

10. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Leaving your dog tied up outside is an open invitation. In the small town I used to live in, a little dog was stolen off his chain from the front yard during his ten minute potty break. Nope, not "rescue" people. Most dogs that are stolen are sold to laboratories, used as fighting dog bait, etc. These people cruise around looking for your little Muffin, or your giant King. They know what they are doing and how to steal a big dog as well as a little one.

11. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

It may not be necessary to shoot the theives. They risk becoming dog food. If you hear or read of someone stealing dogs like this you should report them to the police. They should not get away with it. Just because they brag in Slate is no protection. Report them.

We have LGDs who rotate between their duties which include home, car, field and line. They take a dim view of strangers coming onto our property. Some are always out and about, one is usually on the line in front of the house. If someone were to approach the dog on the line, or even step off the road, that dog would call in reinforcements of the other dogs as well as us. They are not subtle about it.

This reminds me of the questions strangers sometimes ask, "Does your dog bite?" My wife always wants to say, "It's a dog, dummy."

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

A couple months ago I read Jon Katz's latest book. He annoys me. He has working dogs and sheep and is fairly ignorant about both. Read his books and see what I mean. Wonder how he'd have felt being turned in to animal control when he let a twin die during lambing? He does admit he is learning, but this is ridiculous.

My dogs are inside when they want to be, which is usually at my feet in the evening and during the night. But when I am gone during the day one is on a line while the other is loose. It works well for us and they have more than everything they need. Including a well-seeded grassy area (dry straw in the wet/snow months) with houses with cedar chips, water bowls, toys and treats. Plus neighbor girls who help me out now and again by walking them if I am going to be gone long.

13. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Mixed feelings on this issue. Why didn't the rescue ladies get 10 others of their ilk, collect 20 bucks from each one, and buy the dog? Was it more fun to steal it? Are they members of PETA, or what? But OTOH, leaving a dog tied to a tree in all weather is pretty cruel, and sometimes one's emotions get the better of the conscience, although stealing is still stealing. Regarding Jon Katz, I have read his book, and have spoken to him, and feel that he is providing a home after the fact. He surely would not partake of larceny of someone's dog, knowing how much his own mean to him. If he annoys you, don't read his work. How many people on this forum are "ignorant" about caring for the animals they buy, but buy them anyway and depend on others with experience to help them in the learning process? Do they annoy you as well? To be honest, each one of us has a lot to learn. I have raised sheep and dogs and other livestock for nigh onto 50 years, and am always learning. I think most newbies would admit they need others to help them along, and "letting a twin die" is kind of a silly statement. They just die sometimes, especially when you don't have the capability of reading a ewe's mind. It is hard to lose any of them, but I don't know any sheep farmers who have a 100% viability rate during lambing. Besides, leaving your dog on a line and the other one loose is probably high treason to some dog people. The loose one, unless there is a fenced yard, can get itself killed pretty easily, and it's so hard to lose a dog that you care about especially if it could have been prevented.
    This is an interesting issue, but the person who mentioned laboratories is right - never, ever put an ad in the paper for "free puppies" because the creepy people who come out of the woodwork and swarm your place, swearing they "love all dogs" are the ones who sell them to labs the minute they get ahold of your pup. Learned that one the hard way a long time ago, and every dog since has been spayed to prevent unwanted puppies. Our dogs came from a rescue, a legitimate one, and we'll probably always go this route, there are so many good dogs that need a home, and I'm past the age of enjoying puppy behavior. Call me old, it fits.

14. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Leva posted:

So I visited her and she denied having my dog. Didn't have it. Had about forty acres fenced in with enormous dogs running loose so I couldn't see the kennels on her property.

Leva​

Load up a pump action 12 gauge with 00 buck. Hop over the fence and rescue your dog.

98% one shot stopping power.

Pete

15. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

I'd like to see them try to steal my dog. He's a beautiful border/sheltie mix. Looks like a sweet guy but if you ignore his bark and reach over the fence
    he will take your arm off.
    We took him to the vet in his muzzel. The receptionist said "I have never seen a Sheltie muzzeled !" When we came back to get him she wouldn't even reach down to remove the vet's leash from his neck.
    He's a great watch dog, he tells us if anyone is near our fence. So far the only person he's bit is my husband. When the dog started growing at him I told he he had better stop what he was doing, he didn't listen and got bit! :p

16. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had dogs stolen out of my yard. 2 Dobies and a pit bull. Never did find them.

I have a chi/pom that I put on a run when she needs a break. I sure hope no one gets brave enough to go through my gates and steals her. Never can tell though. I believe these rescue people are taking it just too far. Why aren't they doing more on trying to prevent births. More people would have their dogs and cats spayed and neutered if it were cheaper.

They recently arrested and found guilty a man in our area that was dealing in dogs. He was buying them up from people that were stealing them or going around finding strays or what was out of peoples yards. Then he would sell to the labs what they would buy. Those that they wouldn't buy was found in a pile of bones on his place.

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Thief. Rope. Tree. Some assembly required.

Animal rights loons are becoming a real problem especially for those nearer urban areas. I have friends and relations in Colorado that are having real troubles with the loon crowd. They vandalize, cut fences, burn down buildings and take shots at the house. I've been out there helping patrol their ranch during some of this activity and those PETA/ELF/ALF/HSUS terrorists are dangerous bunch. Oh, in their little groups when they are vandalizing property and burning down outbuildings they are all rage and liberation but catch one alone an he will literally **** his pants and cry like a little girl who just saw her cat ran thrown into a woodchipper. Vile scum. *spit*

18. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

My sister had her 12 YO Newfoundland stolen out of her yard. She put up posters all over in her small town and also called the Sheriff's department to let them know she was looking for him. About a week later the Sheriff's department called to have her come down to ID her dog.
    Seems a person living next to an old abandoned farmhouse heard dogs barking inside and called the cops. Her dog, Bear, and four other dogs were locked inside. The cops think that the thieves were stealing dogs to sell for research and had to find a place to store them until they could transport them all.
    Hanging is too good for these creeps!
    Leay

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Taylor- In the book he wrote he talked about his inexperience with lambing, and he tried hard, but was so busy with a newborn, he forgot to wait and see if there was a twin....it was unfortunate, but he just didn't know about that yet. I don't think he knows enough about the dogs in the country yet either. I didn't like his arrogance about getting a purebred dog for the young man who helped him out around the farm either, but it takes all kinds in this world. And, I agree with you, I won't read any more of his books, that was the first and last.

Receiving stolen property is what "giving it a home after the fact" really is. I mean, that hot IPOD a friend stole and gave to me is still stolen property, even though I was giving it a home after the fact. What he is involved with is illegal.

My dog is well-trained to stay on our property (20 acres) and we live at the dead-end of the road. He does not chase traffic of any kind. He spends his time around the boxes keeping the other one company for the majority of the time. When he isn't there he is in the field peeing.

20. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Read that article in Slate today. It must be nice for these people to be judge and jury. What if they see a kid looking lonely in his backyard do they snatch him up, to be sent to greener pastures? This guy should be arrested. I just hope the FBI is looking at these PETA groups as the terrorists that they are. I bet it is only a matter of time until people are killed over their overzelous pursuit of animal "rights".