Better to sell now or later?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Michael W. Smith, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Tomorrow our local auction house will continue to have their lamb and goat sale for Easter like last week.

At last weeks sale, I saw kids selling for $20.00 - $40.00. One of my dairy goat kids is big and would sell for probably $25.00 - $30.00. So should I sell him now hoping I get that price, or wait until next year's sale where I would probably get at least $90.00 for him as big as what he is growing.

My 2 wethers that were born last year and sold at last week's sale brought $96.00 for the big one and $76.00 for the smaller one.

I get my hay for free (I help my Dad bale his hay), so the cost between now and then would be the grains, horse feed, and alfalfa pellets I would feed up to next year.

This kid was a single kid so is getting all of mom's milk and growing like a weed.

If you were me, would you take what you could get now, or grow him out for a little less than a year until next Easter season?

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

3. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Too late for the Easter market but there are many more before next year. Ramadan is always good and is in the fall.
    Calculate how much feed, water, wormings etc will cost you per goat til next Easter and see if you make a decent profit.

4. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact I do know of some for sale. My goat friend (whom started me in goats in the first place) has boer cross does for sale. She has kids from dairy does that were bred to a 3/4 boer / 1/4 dairy buck.

She still has the buck on the property and has does for sale from this breeding.

Do you want her phone number or do you want me to check to see how much she is selling them for? She lives in Corsica which is between Brookville & Clarion.

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Gosh, Mike, yeah, get me a price on them.

Ruth

6. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

If you haven't banded him, why not wait till fall when people are looking for a buck. If you browse him it's almost no extra money and generally around here anyway bucks bring the most around breeding season. Most people don't want a "smelly" buck around all year.