Better to order or go to the store?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by allenslabs, Apr 11, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I am getting all ready for my garden! My neighbor came over and plowed it up. Not I have to wait on it to dry up so hubby can disc it a couple times. In the meantime I'm getting evreything ready. Should I order my seeds or plants online or just go to the locale store and get them? Here is my garden plan~

<North>

A Corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn cornn corn corn
    S corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn
    P and three or 4 more rows of corn and I will plant pumpkins and cucumbers in A with the corn rows.
    R
    A Vine bean >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    G Vine beans>>>>>>>>>>>> probably blue lake>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>>>
    U Vine beans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    S
    A Watermelon>>>>>>>>> G Tomato>>>>>>>Bell Peppers>>>>>>>>>>>>
    S Watermelon>>>>>>>>> A Tomato>>>>>>>Bell Peppers>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    P Watermelon?>>>>>>>> R Parsley>>>>>>>Brocoli>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A Watermelon>>>>>>>>> L Carrots>>>>>>>>>>>Onions>>>>>>>>>>>>
    R Watermelon?>>>>>>>> I Carrots>>>>>>>>>>>Onions>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A Watermelon>>>>>>>>> C Carrots>>>>>>>>>>>Onions>>>>>>>>>>>>
    G Watermelon>>>>>>>>> G Carrots>>>>>>>>>>>Onions>>>>>>>>>>>>
    U Watermelon>>>>>>>> A Carrots>>>>>>>>>>>Onions>>>>>>>>>>>>
    S Watermelon>>>>>>>> R THYME>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A Watermelon>>>>>>>> L Cabbage>>>>>>>>>>Lettuce>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    S Watermelon>>>>>>>> I Cabbage>>>>>>>>>>Lettuce>>>>>>>>>>>>
    P Watermelon>>>>>>>> C Cabbage>>>>>>>>>>>Lettuce>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A Watermelon>>>>>>>> Dill>>>>>>>>>Dill>>>>>>>>>>Dill>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you all think? Doable? This is my first year but that is the PLAN! HAHA! I'm hoping that it doesn't kill me in buying the seeds and plants I'll need. I was planning on planting my tomato plants and blue lake beans on cow panels. My dad did that last year and the tomatos grew up the panel and didn't lay on the ground. So I'm gonna try that I think. Then I read that corn grew good w/ pumpkin. So I thought I could plant it under the corn and it and the cucumbers could cover teh ground that is w/ the corn. I'm really excited! Hubby doesn't think I can do it :rolleyes: but I really wanna try! Ok anyway see ya all later!

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Cabbage, broccoli, tomatos, peppers => Get plants, your a bit late for seeds on these. Get the cabbage and broccoli in now, but wait a bit on the others (unless you want to pamper and protect them)

Onions => Get Sets or transplants...get these in as soon as possilbe

All the rest => seeds

I would plant more than 2 rows of corn....even if you shorten them and use the same amount of seed. With only 2 rows you may not get good pollination.

Good Luck!

Shane

3. allenslabs

Thank you!! I was worried about that when I started readin. I didn't realize that people started so early!

4. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Oh, Yeah. I am in about the same zone as you here in Ohio. I start some seeds in feb. Its a good way to fight the winter blues!

Shane

5. allenslabs

Oh dear. So then I need to go get them from the store. I have a couple of catalogs and everything checked I want. Think I should just go try to find them at the stores? Ever started things in a wet paper towel? I was reading about that a bit ago.

6. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I start everything I intend to transplant in paper towels. roll your seeds in a wet paper towel and check them every day for the beginings of a root tip. Plant them as soon as you see it. I have even been known to presoak my peas and beans before I plant.

You still have time to order seeds for everything on your list except those things I said you needed to get plants for. the seed companies generally ship very fast.

Good luck!

Shane

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Your best bet is to find a local greenhouse to purchase the plants you need...or at a local farmers market. The big chains have plants shipped in just like their other products and often they are highly fertilized,pushed to grow and don't do that well in your garden. A few cents saved at wally isn't worth losing a crop...and besides,you will be supporting someone making a living, not a big corporation. :) DEE

8. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

Make a list of the seeds you have marked and go buy them in the store. At least get as many of them that you can in the local stores. I ordered seeds about 2 weeks ago and still don't have them, the catalogs are busy right now and slow. I only ordered things I couldn't buy locally and I had to wait until I had money for them which is why I didn't order them a couple of months ago like I should have to be sure to get them in time. If you can't get some that you want locally then call the catalog and find out their shipping times at this time of year, I wish I had.