Better Plumbing Connections

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Oct 26, 2005.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Wow, let us know if it works. Is it a problem that the website doesn't mention plain PVC, only CPVC ?

(Moments later, after following the pricing link)

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Have you looked at the price of those things?????

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably work good to mate different types of pipe. To use as a common connector to replace a $0.30 fitting - why?

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently replaced a section of copper with pex that freezes almost every year (because I never seem to get it drained before the first hard frost). The valve had details similar to the shark bite drawing on the site provided above. It differed in that it had a plastic nut on each end of the valve, but the insides look the same. I was very impressed. It only needed to be tightened by hand, went together in seconds, and hasn't leaked at all. It connects a copper supply line to my sprinkling system. I may never solder again.

5. mysticokra

It allows me to use PEX in an area where I am concerned it might freeze.
    PEX will give, CPVC will crack. Also, speed and ease of installation in tight places is worth some extra money. And, it keeps me from buying that $100 plus crimping tool to go with the PEX connectors, which are a good bit more than $0.30.

6. norris

norris Well-Known Member

I used PEX in a cabin I built recently and was NOT impressed with it at all. The problem is you have to clamp the fittings with clamps....and the clamps require a special crimper tool that is GIANT and will not fit in the nooks and crannies that plumbing goes...like between joists. Hopefully they come up with a better clamp system. Other than the clamps and the fact that the different brands are not standardized, PEX seems pretty good.

7. mysticokra

That was kind of the point of the post. The Sharkbite clamps address the complaints you have with the crimping tool and connectors.

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

PEX has been popular in europe for some time. The big issue for DIY PEX users is you need the pricey crimping tool. Connections are a little more expesive than pvc, but they are much faster to install. For the DIY it might not be worth it, for the contractor is a big time savings.

9. norris

norris Well-Known Member

You can borrow or rent them from most suppliers. The big problem is getting that huge monster into the tight places encountered on plumbing jobs.
    It took me a whole lot longer than cpvc, which I usually use.

Another disadvantage of PEX is the very limited availabilty of different fittings. If you need a 3/4 PEX by 1/2 npt elbow or something like that forget it, they don't make them.

10. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter