Beta Max format ...to...DVD format??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Dec 16, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........I found a Betamax video of my 1985 , 20 year reunion , that had been lost for a number of years . I don't want to loose the content on the betamax disc so Is it possible to get the Betamax format convert over to the DVD format where I can play it on my DVD machine? If , yes what do they charge to do this conversion? , thanks , fordy.. :)

2. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Fordy, sorry I can't answer your question, but it does make me chuckle. My dh was a betamax believer, and a year or so ago, we sold our last one at a garage sale. 2 young guys came along, and the one didn't know what it was. The other guy was all excited--like he found an ancient treasure, and he bought it for $2.00. He was tickled pink!

If your local photo shop can't do it, you might check with a local photographer. Most of them have been doing videos for a number of years, and may have the ability to transfer it for you.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Tinker , thanks ! I'll have to do alittle research when I go into town and see if this is possible. I , hope so as I'd like to retain this information, if at all possible . fordy :)

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............fin29 , thanks ! I really appreciate the help . I'll have to contact them after the first of the year . fordy :)

6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm set up to transfer VHS, Hi8 and MiniDV to DVD - too bad your tape wasn't one of those, I could do it for you.

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

If you had a betamax player, it can be imputted to your video card and there is free software that can then save it as a file that can be burned to dvd or cd and played on most dvd players. I played some with it last winter. Would have to go back and review as I havent messed with it since. You would need a video card that can accept external video imput from an analog device and you would need at least a cdburner. If using vcd format have to make sure your dvd player can handle it and also realize that it might take 3 cds to hold info you could put on one dvd. A halfway modern computer and large hardrive wouldnt hurt either.

If just one time deal and you arent all that interested in learning how to do this, then lot easier just to pay somebody that offers this service.